A cinematographer bought an A7rII and discovered a way to improve its image quality

From 2017 - DP Timur Civan discovered SLog2 mode for JPEGs:

I found however that there was one small issue with the Sony system. It is what has plagued every sony camera since the Vx1000 DV camera. Skin color. At least in camera skin tone rendition. There is just something about the way the Sony cameras render skintone. It isn’t “Wrong”… It’s actually too accurate.

[...]

I posted my findings online, and started a thread about the technique. In a discussion I had with Geoffrey C Bassett: I brought up this technique and he wanted to try it out. He noticed something quite remarkable. It seems that when the camera is in SLOG2 mode, some interesting image processing happens. It seems that shooting stills in SLog2 seems to eliminate a majority of chromatic aberration. Under the same test images, he also noted that SLog2 images were a bit grainier. What I think happens, is that the camera does zero processing in noise reduction, and doubles up Chromatic Aberration Compensation, or just does an extremely good debayer. Whatever the case is, I would gladly take a slightly grainer image in exchange for beautiful color and less C/A.

Of course you should read the entire article. He did have to buy a LUT for the camera (US $21). Judge for yourself:

An A7R2 Love story… How the A7R2 can be Surprisingly Affordable and an Slog2 Workflow for Stills | Timur Civan

Actually the camera does a lot of processing for SLog2 gamma curves - to flatten highlights and open up shadows. However it's done in 14 bit mode, then rendered to 8-bit or 10-bit (4,2,2) video. Chromatic aberration is a property of the lens, and something I haven't noticed with Sony lenses. Perhaps you are seeing something else, like color aliasing.

The advantage of SLog2 gamma is that you have more room to grade color and exposure for consistency between scenes. The disadvantage is that you MUST grade every clip. I prefer to shoot so that the results are good enough to use without grading, then make small adjustment for consistency between scenes and cameras.

Sony already has a DRO (Dynamic Range Optimization) option for still photos. It adjusts the sensitivity in the high and low ranges, but creates an image which can be used without adjustment, but with room to adjust should you wish to do so.

For those who don't know what that is: It lifts shadows, but does not lower highlights. Which is fine, as long as you know what you're getting. HDR does both, but that is a triple-exposure. I have used DRO myself, and it's not bad.