A Challenge.

jsc1

<p>One of these images was taken with an Argus A (1938). The other image was taken with a Leica M3 DS (1956, date approximate...) and a Summicron 50 (1956, approximate).<br>

The film was identical (Fuji Acros 100). The exposure was identical. The development was identical.<br>

Which is which?<br>

And which do you like better?<br>

(just for fun)</p>

<p>I see sharper corners and less vignetting on second picture, so I assume it's a f/2 lens stopped down a few stops, rather than a slower lens at maximum aperture? It probably has less distorsion too. So yes, I like second image "more", since it doesn't associate with that famous "brick" camera:)</p>

<p>I'm guessing the one with softness at the edges is the Argus (#1) evidenced by the fuzzy top of the drain pipe. I like the second one because the first one is too dark. The second one seems more "warm" in tone. </p>

<p>Factors that were not taken into account are the uncoated lens of the Argus, different distances that the pic.s were shot from (leaves in some, not in others), if focusing is accurate in the Argus and condition of the Argus lens/accuracy of the shutter timing. Were both printed on the same type paper? </p>

<p>You should be getting closer if you are shooting brick walls for testing ;)<br>

But yes, given the limited information, it is impossible to tell which was shot with which camera. The first is significantly lower in absolute IQ than the second. Vignetting, not sharp etc. It could be either the Leica or Argus shot wide open. The second is a lot sharper but stopped down, just about any lens can take sharp pictures.<br>

Which do I like better? I like Leica because that's what I have :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How can I find the EXIF data?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I use the FxIF add-on in Firefox to view EXIF info: (for images #1 & 2)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Camera Maker: Nikon<br />Camera Model: Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 9000 ED<br />Image Date: 2010:06:16 09:27:56<br />Color Space: Dot Gain 20%</p>

<p>Camera Maker: Nikon<br />Camera Model: Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 9000 ED<br />Image Date: 2010:06:16 09:28:21<br />Color Space: Nikon Apple RGB 4.0.0.3000<br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

<p>Of course, Alastair.<br>

Image #1 was taken with a fixed lens Argus A. The shutter/lens assembly 'reads' "I.R.C. f/4.5 Anastigmat."<br>

Image #2 was taken with a Leica M3 DS and a collapsible Summicron-M 50/2.</p>