a Carl Zeiss 300mm f/4 ?

byronlawrence

I have an opportunity to purchase or maybe obtain a med format camera (Pentacon

six TLs) with an 80mm lens and the lens mentioned above,, for about 800 dollars.

I am guessing that it is a fair price, but I woudl like to konw if it is a GREAT

price or just an average price, and can anybody point me in the right direction

for reviews of this equipment I like/love MF already so I know I would like this

set up but the price has to be worth it.<div>00InWN-33515384.jpg.d8c6d1bd0504af107132700aa34dc57b.jpg</div>

Hi Byron, All I can say is that a Carl Zeiss 300mm f/4 lens for my Hasselblad would cost a small fortune. Unless Zeiss put out a few dogs (unlikely) then that is a GREAT deal... Unless the lens has problems like fungus or something like that. If you're buying these over the Internet without being able to check them out first, I'd get very specific with the seller about returning them if you're not happy and have someone who's knowledgeable about such things check it out for you once you receive it. Good luck!

From what I can see on the photo, this is a Carl Zeiss Jena product, not a Carl Zeiss

Oberkochen - where the Hasselblad lenses have been made, This being said, you should

check on Keh and on the 'bay what are the current prices for this.

I have used this type of camera 30 years ago, and although it is far away from a

Hasselblad quality, you can equally take some nice photos with it if you care.

I should think though, that considering how cheap the Pentaxes 6x7 are now, they

probably represent better value for money and give you a frame which really makes a

difference in terms of size with respect to DSLR cameras.

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=740

I have inlcuded the link.

yes it is a Jena product

they sell nice army surplus equipment from east europe. My little brother loves their catalogue and has purchased several items from them. I decided against the purchase becuase the camera is a rare version of the pentacon taht was specifically designed for photo IDs.. (it shoots a 4x4 or 5 cm frame on med format film.. i would prefer a full 6x6 frame. but the lens looks good, and it comes with the 80mm carl zeiss lens (also a jena product)

here is a link for the camera too.

http://www.praktica-collector.de/PentaconSix_SLR.htm

Well, I have not tried this particular lens, but keep it in mind that the quality of the Jena glass, at least till the fall of the wall, has been more comparable to that of the Russian cameras than to the classic West German products.

Moreover, as far as I know, this camera has no mirror lock-up, so a 300mm lens is going to be hard to use even on a tripod.

I would really prefer to spend this kind of money on a japanese kit, other members of the MF forum will surely give you their feedback on Mamiya, Bronica or Pentax cameras.

I can only suggest that you could spend a comparable amount of money on a Hasselblad C/M or EL/M with a silver Planar 80mm and maybe Sonnar 150mm and could get a much more reliable and versatile kit, but if you are comitted to film only shooting, I think a cheaper, 6X7 camera makes certainly more sense.

I have two med format cameras. both mamiya a c330 and an rb67. i prefer the 6x6 format. I also have a digital cam (20d), and the only thing i need to finish my collection (aside from lenses) is a nice scanner. I have a cheap one right now.

Also someday i woudl like to get the med format digital back and a med format cam to go with,, but my skill need to improve to a point where it is warranted. :)

anyway thanks everyone.

Byron,

I use a Hasselblad outfit, as well as a dslr (fuji s3). I think that the street shooting-

reportage capabiities of your TLR Mamiya in the "normal" focal range far outdo the

Pentacon Six, which has a problem with the mirror slap, and weighs more as well,

especially if you use the pentaprism. On the other hand, for landscape, architecture,

portraiture or still life your RZ 67 is surely hard to beat. I have chosen Hasselblad because

of family heritage and because I am convinced this camera is a good compromise between

a film and a digital back option (when the prices will become a bit more realistic). If the

300mm lens was the bait in this offer, I am sure you can outdo it in terms of image quality

with a decent Canon 135 mm prime on your D20.

I scan my film vith an Epson V750, and as you will find from the Digital Darkroom threads,

this is satisfying for an 8-12 times enlargement, that's why I think a 6X7 neg is more

efficient and in image quality stands above a medium - high level dslr for a 20X24 print.

For USD 800 I would pass: The Pentacon is about EUR 150 in Germany, the 80mm around EUR 50 and the 300/4 will cost you EUR 150-200, altogether it would be EUR 400 which is about USD 530. As said these are Zeiss products, but from Zeiss Jena (east) and not Zeiss Oberkochen (west); while the Jena glass is not bad, it is not up to the Zeiss west standards (and prices). The pentacon itself is also not the 1st-choice-body for MF, a pure manual system which is not very widespread.

For USD 800 I would rather go for a Mamiya or Bronica 6x6 with a 80 and a second lens, or for a Rollei or Hasselblad with a standard lens.