A Bride and Groom who demand a 100% photojournalistic approach

nicole_brown

<p>I have a very wonderful bride and groom who are getting married this August and they are very specifc in what they want for the photography.<br>

First off, they have requested that there are no formal photos. They want everything candid. They don't want to be pulled away to have their photos taken...etc. They have guests from Europe coming too.<br>

Is this normal? I have always had a 30 minutes minimum of formal photograhic time. The rest was full on photojournalistic.<br>

How should I approach this wedding? I will have an assistant with me who is fully aware of their needs.<br>

My nervousness comes from parents who are paying for the wedding not getting the style that they like or wondering where the formal photographs are in the album. My bride insists that everyone is on board with their vision.<br>

On another note, they don't want an album. They want their selects on disc. Usually I put together a custom album for them. They want their images and will design their own album themselves. I have let them know that custom albums are available to photographer's only...that they would only get a consumer grade.<br>

I don't want to step on their dreams...but I want to make sure that at the end of the day everyone is happy with the images of their day.<br>

Thanks for your help!<br>

Nicole</p>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>What you're describing is fairly normal in my market in the UK. Many of my weddings are 100% documentary style without formals. I suspect it's something that will only become more popular, as I've noticed an increasing demand for it. I've always enjoyed shooting that way - hope you do too.</p>

<p>All you need to manage client expectations is an addendum to the contract spelling out clearly that you've been engaged on the basis of producing no formal photographs. Make sure the b+g are the signatories and then it's clear you're working for them, not the parents. And make sure the b+g pay you themselves (the parents can give them the funds first, if necessary), or that the parents counter-sign the contract instead. That way everyone is clear about what's been asked for and you eliminate all conflicts of interest.</p>

<p>As far as albums go, I've often found that people don't have any understanding of what a custom album looks or feels like. Most people have inaccurate preconceptions based on cheap albums they may have seen from other weddings. I suggest you show them the real deal and let them think about it. More often than not they'll come back for it later.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nice, easy and simple, make sure you take many pix. <br>

Also, when I work photojournalistic way I try to be seen as little as possible, people are unaware of the camera and ae more natural - my experience, do U agree? <br>

Hope it will turn out fine. <br>

Im sure you will take a few shots from teh ceremony that can be categorized as formal. </p>

<p>Not a wedding photog, but when you can`t control the situation you end up looking a t the couples back and are never at the right place at the right time. I think this is where you make 10000 pics and get 4 decent ones.<br>

Appeal to the mother of bride and promise to keep the time short for photos.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...I think this is where you make 10000 pics and get 4 decent ones</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Judging by Nicole's portfolio I don't think she's going to have that problem. And PJ shooters are nearly always in the right place at the right time - that's the whole point of photojournalism.</p>

<p>Agree with Marc, <em>"Don't be surprised if a couple days before the wedding, they change their minds. Mom's can be persistent." </em>But this may actually change during the wedding so be prepared to be flexible.</p>

<p>My fear is that you may have a couple who actually don't really care about photography much at all and don't want to be bothered during the day. I hope you showed them several complete weddings and had them comment on what they "wanted" as opposed to what they didn't want. Be sure to manage their expectations ahead of time and during the day and stay loose........good luck.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My nervousness comes from parents who are paying for the wedding not getting the style that they like or wondering where the formal photographs are in the album.</p>

<p> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Neil hit the important point, imo.</p>

<p>Probably the first thing I make sure everyone understands is that No Matter who is paying the for the wedding: <strong>I am working for the bride and groom Only.</strong> I take direction from the bride and groom only.</p>

<p>In fact, last weeks wedding required me to call the bride and groom and reiterate that fact to them because the MOB was calling me and giving me conflicting information/instruction about the time line and how many formals she wanted. The "problem" was solved by one phone call and the MOB was lovely with me during the wedding day too; the bride called her mother and they worked it out ... no problems because the contract was clear on this point.</p>

<p>Just make sure you have it in the contract right on the line below where you have the final Total to be paid ... I also have a line there for the bride and groom to initial that they have read the entire contract and agree with the terms stipulated. You work and take direction only from the bridal couple because it's their wedding day and it's their photographs ... no matter who is paying the fee for the wedding photography.</p>

<p>I have a lot of pictures I take that actually "look" more candid than they actually are. I still have to "stage" to some extent (go stand over there, relax your body, put your hands in your pockets, that sort of thing). Make sure they realize what they may get with a complete PJ approach. Good luck!</p>

<p>I once had one bride and groom requested no formal when they booked (even on the contract)...but, I checked with them a week before the wedding just wanna make sure we are still on the same page, and they changed their mind. End up, we had 30 mins formal session with families, plus they wanted an hour photoshoot just them before the ceremony ;)<br>

So, you might wanna put on your contract, but, double check with them before the event to make sure...<br>

I do enjoy, and love the formal bridal and groom though...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've done it before. And loved it. Actually I'd prefer it if every B&G wanted that, because I love how my work looks when I'm given liberation from stuffy portraits and all! (not that I'm complaining, it's just that the candid decisive moments are where I shine)</p>

<p>You should be prepared to do some things totally differently though...</p>

<p>I agree with Betty. Be sure they understand what PJ actually means, and that there is also creative photojournalism, which involves creating beautiful staged shots that are directed by the photographer, but look very natural and unposed. They're more what an artist might paint. If you shoot strict reality with no involvement, they won't have anything to hang on the wall later, and neither will their relatives. Many PJ shots in magazines have the subject looking directly at the camera. The Afghan girl on Nat. Geo. is an example.</p>

<p>And even though her family is "on board" with the idea, be sure they, friends, etc. understand this too. You don't want it to reflect poorly on you to those who don't understand.</p>

<p>I don't do weddings any more, but this one sounds like a fun one to shoot. If you normally use light stand(s) and mono lights, etc., maybe make sure you don't bring and leave in the car trunk, that way when someone changes their mind on the day of, you can say "sorry I didn't bring my formal gear..."</p>

<p>I agree that understanding what is meant by "photojournalism" is the key. As a former newspaper photographer, it would almost be easier for me to cover a wedding as a true photojournalist with no formals, no posing or directing and no fancy lighting setups. But a newspaper photographer only has to come back with one or two publishable pictures out of an assignment, and a magazine photographer with maybe half a dozen. Trying to come up with enough shots to fill an album when you are truly shooting like a news photographer could be a challenge. As far as not being seen or noticed during a wedding, that's next to impossible to accomplish and still get good pictures. I can work a room and get all sorts of candids of people talking, laughing, joking -- not posing and staring at the camera -- but I do a lot of it with a wide angle lens from five feet away, and they definitely know I'm there.</p>

<p>another non-wedding photog suggestion. Make sure the contract states that although you will try to capture every significant participant on picture, you cannot be held responsible if you do not, i.e. they will have no claim against you if you miss Nana.</p>

<p>Hmm. Reading this thread makes is giving me culture shock. :-)</p>

<p>Contrary to some opinions expressed here it is possible to shoot a wedding in pure PJ style and come back with enough excellent material to fill an album three or four times over. I know it's not what US wedding photography is about, but in many other places shooting for the story, rather than for a few manufactured moments, is actually fairly normal. Photojournalism done well can produce superb images well worth framing and hanging. And they're often treasured much more by people because they have the benefit of being real.</p>

<p>BTW - there's a big difference between being seen and being noticed. If you do it right you're always seen but rarely noticed.</p>

<p>You're working for them. If you're comfortable, that's fine. If you're not, then offer to walk away.<br>

You might want to ask them if their parents are OK with this. Another option is to offer them the "Basic 4" as I call it. One pose of each entire family, one of the bridal party and one of the bride and groom. You should be able to do this quickly and all the key participants will be photographed.<br>

If they don't want it, be sure that they know that some of their key people may not necessarily be photographed and that the "success rate" of PJ images is not as good as posed, controlled photography. Maybe don't use that word "controlled".<br>

Good luck and always get paid for you contract in full before the wedding....-Aimee </p>