upstate New York--on a local rail trail. It was shot "large/fine JPEG"

at ISO 160 on a 24-70 2.8 L. I did abolutely no manipulation or

cropping, and I have not yet made any custom adjustments in the

camera. I purchased the body yesterday after deciding it was time my

two-year-old 10D had some company when I go out on a job. Needles to

say, I'm pleased. What really made my day was being able to shoot with

a full-frame sensor--I'd forgotten what my 16-35 2.8 L was capable of

producing.

I just picked one up with a 35mm/f2. The results have ASTOUNDED me. I've worked with some of the best equipment out there: Leaf, Imacon, Jenoptik as well as the 1ds, 1ds mk2 etc. This camera really holds its own. Images are *tack* sharp and colors are extremely accurate - unmanipulated! It would seem the early examples on the web REALLY sold this camera short! I've only shot raw's so far with the one lens but so far I am absolutely thrilled. It blows away the 20d. Even the ergonomics of the camera have been vastly improved. ISO's in 3rd's; large LCD; RGB hstogram etc. I am seriously thinking about selling my 4x5 system - something I never thought I'd do.

Anyways, I just wanted to get some excitement out of my system!

I picked up a 5D last week. One word: I LOVE THIS CAMERA!

I scrapped my LF system to go digital last May. I bought a Rebel XT. Last week I shot my 3,000th image with it.

Today, just one week after getting my 5D, I shot frame #806.

Did I mention that I love this camera?(!)

Bill,

Looking at that photograph I notice a strange mottled pattern in some areas. I'm hoping that they are just compression artefacts and nothing more.

The guy's forearm in front of the ipod, the bottom of his shorts leg, and the yellowish trees next to the telegraph pole in the background. In fact the more I look the more I see.

Can you confirm that these are not on the original please? (or even that only I can see them!)

Cheers,

Matt

I played with one in the store yesterday for two hours.

The exposure in evaluative is crap like all canon cameras (about a stop under on average) and you still can't lock exposure in partial or spot mode except with the * button (it locks with focus on my Elan II, perfect for us who focus recompose and sorely missed by me on every camera since, I used to get perfect exposures focusing on the face with partial metering).

AWB is also again still crap when using flash.

I am really annoyed that you can't set the review to come up with histogram unless that was the last setting you had for playback (What the hell where they thinking, I don't have time for this nonsense!)

I personally can't handhold it comfortably without the grip, but then I've never been able to comfortably hold a camera without the grip.

Compared to my 1Ds the noise at iso 800 is similar to the noise at iso 3200 on the 5D and about a stop better than my 10D, WOW!

Focusing is fast enough, nothing wow but then I didn't think the 1Ds was wow compared to my 10D. The focus points all grouped in the middle there are next to useless, how many of you place your point of focus in that tiny diamond in the middle?! The middle point is not really big enough compared to the others to diffrentiate it in a split second compared to the others when focusing but I'm sure I'll get used to it or maybe even lightly mark it with a pencil.

OK, here's the nasty bit. Incredible resolution at the price of only 58 RAW (only) images to a 1 gig card. OUCH!

I'm yet to get a suitible set of values for processing the RAW in ACR, it will need fiddling with.

All that said, I'm first on the list for the camera+lens combo when it comes out, I've ordered the grip and grid screen (for landscape work. I loved grid on my Mamiya) and although things like the focus points and review with histogram are major nuisances, this camera is a considerable improvement over both the 10D and 1Ds that I owned prior to this.<div>00DnAX-25974084.thumb.jpg.58a9862e763ef9fa51a167a0624c681f.jpg</div>

Todd, I remember seeing you and your camera at some late 1970's and early 80's colorado concerts when I was lucky to be in the first few rows. Are you're old Rush images still around? I've never seen a book or anything dealing with those concert images.

Lindy

Wow, Lindy, what a memory! I've actually recently contributed a few hundred concert photos to a project (not at liberty to go into too much detail, since it's not my book) about a very legendary Denver-area outdoor venue, which will be the first time my concert images have been published beyond the scope of a newspaper review. Sadly, I never shot Rush there. Got some great stuff from McNichols Arena over the years, though, as well as Fiddler's Green, Denver Auditorium Theatre and shows in Wichita and Salt Lake. Shoot me an e-mail and if I dig some up, I'll send you a few jpegs.

Pierre: I have no idea what happened to the images in the thread--perhaps the moderator can enlighten us; I know p.n had system problems recently.

I'm reposting my shot in this note.

Matt: I don't know what to say about the pattern you see in the image--I can't see it myself and the original jpeg looks exactly like the posted item.