_MG filenames

pashminu

<p>Just bought a EOS 450D, and suddenly all the filenames after copying / moving to the computer have filenames like _MG_0102, _MG_0109 and so on. The numbering is ok, but why the 'I' is replaced with the underscore?<br>

Initially, the naming was fine.<br>

What may be the problem?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Its what Pascal said - the colour profile is what changes the 'I' to a '_'</p>

<p>I had to change the profile on my 20D as PS elements wouldnt import duplicate file names so instead of shooting sRGB I changed it to Adobe RGB to basically change the file name.</p>

<p>I'd have to check to see if the newest version will import duplicate file names...it seems stupid to me to not import dups as sure the NAMES might be the same, but the actual file may not be.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wonder if <em>anyone</em> likes this feature?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I know I don't... But I did see that it does exist and I noted it when I read the manual to the camera - yes I actually read a fair amount of the manual.</p>

<p>There are real arguments for using Adobe RGB, but when you first realize that, like Pashminu, you are bound to be puzzled for a bit by the sudden change in the file names. An underscore seems like an odd choice in any case for the start of a file name.</p>

<p>I don't care for it whatsoever, as soon as I get the files on my computer, I batch rename them, : AA-20090208-0001.jpg for example. AA - 2 letter code to designate any specific project: i have a text file with all the projects and the letter code next to it. 20090208: the date formated so that all files so properly. 0001: file sequence of the images. </p>

<p>D.O.</p>

<p>I think this feature is in the same league as Adobe Photoshop's Cap Lock hotkey which turns display of brushes on/off. Somebody dreamed it up, it's in there, release after release, confounds a lot of people, and is useless.</p>

<p>At least Canon's raw file extension foible is relatively benign: it mostly puzzles, but doesn't really hold you up ;)</p>

• 11 months later...

<p>I just ran into this yesterday and it is mystifying. I had not made any changes in settings on my 7D, and suddenly a series of JPEG large file shots I took, some Thursday and some yesterday evening, have filenames starting with IMG and not _MG, and I cannot open them with Preview, Quicklook, Bridge or Canon Image Browser. I tried opening all the files and changing the names to _MG, but that didn't work.<br>

Again....I did not change any settings.....in fact on Thursday, I shot a series of headshots....only the first person in the group has an image that works. Yesterday I shot all afternoon at a rugby match...no problems. Then I shot a series of indoor stuff a couple of hours later and only the first shot in the series will show up. Very weird. Anybody come across this</p>

<p>I just ran into this yesterday and it is mystifying. I had not made any changes in settings on my 7D, and suddenly a series of JPEG large file shots I took, some Thursday and some yesterday evening, have filenames starting with IMG and not _MG, and I cannot open them with Preview, Quicklook, Bridge or Canon Image Browser. I tried opening all the files and changing the names to _MG, but that didn't work.<br>

Again....I did not change any settings.....in fact on Thursday, I shot a series of headshots....only the first person in the group has an image that works. Yesterday I shot all afternoon at a rugby match...no problems. Then I shot a series of indoor stuff a couple of hours later and only the first shot in the series will show up. Very weird. Anybody come across this</p>