90mm lens on Tachihara 45G

wmwhee

I am new to LF too and recently had the exact same question you are asking now. From what I have learned, the response to your question is "Which 90mm lens?"

It all boils down to the size of the image circle the selected lens will provide. Like a fool, and without doing my homework as you are doing now, I picked up a 105mm Nikkor W f:5.6 As that lens has an image circle of only 155mm at f:22 while the diagonal of a 4 x 5 is almost 160mm, the 155mm image circle will not cut it even with all of the movements at neutral. With any movement at all - not a chance!

Diring my education at the School of Hard Knocks, I found a table that will help you avoid a dumb mistake like the one I made. Check it out.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF4x5in.html

I hope this helps you. I'm sure some of those more experienced here might be able to lend more advice on lens selection then I can.

J V McLure

90mm is very wide, like a 28mm on a 35mm camera.

It's about 3-1/2 inches from the lensboard to the ground glass when focused at infinity.

You can check it out yourself with your camera and a ruler, see how it works out. Open up the camera and measure out 3-1/2 inches from front standard to the ground glass. Try some movements. If your bellows is flexible enough, it should work fine.

I use a Super Angulon 90mm f8 on a flat board with Tachihara. You can use the full movements the camera is capable of. Titling standards towards each other is most limited due to their proximity, but far more than enough movements are available for practical (landscape) purposes.