90mm for Linhof Technika III - shooting wide open

francesco_palombi

<p>Kevin, the only problem is he is talking about environmental portraits, which requires sharpness across the field, something the 6.8 angulon is simply incapable of at f/8. I used one for donkeys years and always at f/22 or f/32, could not believe the difference when I chopped it in for a super angulon. Stll reckon the best 90 for the Technika III is the nikkor 90/8, small, light and sharp at any aperture.</p>

<p>Another vote for the Nikkor-SW 90/f8. One of my sharpest lenses, and the smallest and lightest of the modern 90mm wide angle lenses.<br /> Even if it's very good at f8, as with most LF lenses it reaches its peak performance at f16 - f22.</p>

<p>Another lens worth considering is the small Yamasaki Wide-Congo 90/f6.3 in Copal 0 shutter, image circle 175mm. I have one and it delivers perfect results in every respect. However, quality may vary from sample to sample. I don't know if they're still in production, but you can check http://www.cosmonet.org/congo/index_e.html.</p>

<p>I've heard about a Topcor 90/f5.6 lens (Horseman?) but I can't say anything about specs, availability, quality etc.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for the advices. <br /> I think I'll go for the super angulon 5.6<br /> I think I would prefer the nikkor but it's more expensive.<br /> I've also another doubt. <br /> All of you are writing about the super angulon f.8<br /> Why not about the 5.6?<br /> Which are the advantages of the f.8?</p>

<p>Thanks a lot</p>

<p>Francesco</p>

<p>Actually, I mentioned the 90mm f/5.6 in my first response. Anyway the reason so many people go for the f/8 version is the much reduced size and weight, I got a shock when my 90mm f/5.6 arrived, it's huge and it completely unbalances the technika III, which is why I use it on the Sinar, which weighs even more and has the rise to take advantage of the large circle of coverage of the f/5.6 version. The f/8 is much more usable and still bright enough to focus, although obviously the f/5.6 version is a little brighter on the ground glass and as such easier to focus, but not by much. The f/8's coverage is more than enough for the Technika, even if you decide to do architectural work later.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>So, I think I would go for the f.8 <br>

The only doubt I have is that I don't know if I could need that wider stop of the f 5.6<br>

I was trying to figure out how shallow would be the dof at f.8, because maybe for these portraits I don't need a super shallow depth of field, but in the future I really could need it.<br>

What do you think? it's not easy to make a decision..</p>