90, 105, 120 or 125 for 4x5?

Discussion in 'Large Format' started by francesco_bertelli|2, May 22, 2011.

1. I just got a toyo45CF, and sicn ei was used to a cambo 8x10 now i feel using cardbox...is amazing how light it is...maybe not much control, true, but built for my specific project works fine...photography and multiporpose are words not good together ...anyway
    i have several lens for 8x10 but only one super angulon 121 for the 4x5
    i need a wide lens, btu not to wide, for streetscape, and urban arhcitecture but without exagerrated point of view... i dont like the 21 for the 35mm, maybe something close to 28/35 would be better for my project...
    what are the good choices in this range, excluding super expensive lenses over 700$ used?
    what's the equivalent of 90,105,120,125 compared to 35mm format?
    thanks

2. According to the little chart in my home-made data book:
    90mm = 27mm
    105mm = 31mm
    120mm = 36mm
    125mm = 37mm

3. As you know, one of the problems with LF is that kit tends to be large, heavy and expensive. That provides an incentive to minimize kit.
    Don't know the details of the Toyo, but a 90mm lens is typically the largest that can be used without a bag bellows. Having only one bellows can simplify life.

4. 90 mm was always the traditional wide angle for 4x5, it covers roughly the same as 28 mm on 35 mm format. A 90 mm Super Angulon or Nikon, Rodentock etc. equivalent gives useful coverage coupled with appreciable scope to use camera mosvements. Thsi focal length is also available relatively cheaply secondhand.

5. I have a 90mm f5.6 and like it, but sometimes I think I'd like something just a tad longer, such as 110mm or 120mm instead.
    Kent in SD

6. 90mm is a good choice of wideangle for 5x4. Anything shorter and it gets a bit awkward to use, with having to put both standards on one side of the rail-mount and maybe forcing you to use bag bellows. The 80mm Super-Symmar XL is a nice lens though - not quite as wide as the more common 75mm choices, but just that little bit more expansive (and expensive) than 90mm.
    A 90mm is roughly equivalent to 28mm on miniature film, but it depends whether you match the horizontal or vertical angle-of-view, since the aspect ratio isn't the same. The vertical angle-of-view (in landscape) is more like that of a 24mm lens on 135 film.

7. The 120 you can do portraiture, landscape, and architecture. It is more versatile than a 90mm in the 4x5 format. No question.