9-Day Trip to Hawaii - Where to Visit/Photo? Need Advice!

flying_tiger

I'm planning a 9-day trip to Hawaii from New York. I and my wife plan to go

in either late March or April or late May. Not sure about when yet. The

flight will be 12-hour with a stop at CA. So we only have 7 days in Hawaii.

This trip is to celeberate our 5-year anniversary. So I want to balance

between photography and touring. What're the best points of interest to visit

in Hawaii and other island(s) nearby? What're the activities there (i.e.

diving, swimming, boating, beach, etc)? Most importantly, where are the most

beatiful places to photo?

First, which of these 3 months would be the best season in Hawaii? - good

climate and less people.

Second, I realize there are a few other island in Hawaii are worth exploring

in addition to the 'big island'. Since this trip is expensive, we want to

make it a good one. What other island(s) would you recommend?

I intend to get a package for flights and hotel stay, which will cost about

$1500 each person. The problem is the hotel stay included in the package is

for 8 consecutive nights on the 'big island'. This will confine us to

the 'big island'.

What would be the best way to arrange a trip to both the 'big island' and one

or two of the islands nearby? We're on budget and don't plan to spend too

much on flights/hotels.

Third, if you were me, where wound you viist during the 7-day in Hawaii and

how would you arrange the itinery?

Finally, the equipment for photography. I exclusively shoot films with MF and

Canon EOS 3. Is it worth carrying my 503CW with 50mm, 60mm, and 120mm lens?

I imagine the EOS 3 with 28-70/2.8 and 70-200/4L will be very useful. How

about the 300/4L IS lens? Any use of it?

I don't want to carry too much gears. How about the following?

503CW with 50mm and 120mm

2-3 film backs;

EOS 3 with 28-70/2.8 and 70-200/4L

1.4X extender;

550EX flash;

G1228 tripod.

plenty of films for 120 (30-40 rolls) and 35mm format (15 rolls).

My wife will carry a Canon A80 digital P&S.

I appreciate your advice in advance. Thanks.

Richard

The Hawaiian Archipelago is diverse and compelling; eight islands with radically different experiences. Subjects are so varied also, they include flora-fauna, volcanic-geology, ancient culture, contemporary culture, commercial agriculture, ocean habitats, plus tourism, to mention a few. Speaking strictly from my own primary interests and experience I would urge you to include the island of Kauai.

Kauai is the oldest of the main islands and has a significantly more mature ecosystem. Also, known as the Garden Isle, Kauai experience is centered around the highland rainforests. These landscapes have been the backdrop for movies including Indiana Jones-Raiders and Jurassic Park. If that sort of location sounds exciting, go for it!

Regardless of which island(s) you are lucky to explore, remember that 1% of the attractions are seen by 99% of the visitors and 99% of the attractions are seen by only 1% of the visitors. Lack of time is the main antagonist, so you might consider cultivating local contact(s) via internet with special interest groups, or even hire a driver/guide. Also consider reading Lonely Planet and Rough Guide books on Hawaii. See: http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Guide-Hawaii-Travel-Guides/dp/1843532867/ref=ed_oe_p/102-3942396-2888157 .

Violent Crime is generally quite low on the islands, but theft can be a problem. Especially from unattended cars or unsecured accommodations. The Natives are normal, hardworking folks, but there is a small, but testy element that can be less than helpful/pleasant, if you have not be properly introduced or you are not respectful. After all, the United States government, and more to the point, commercial plantation interests, were neither very just nor fair during the annexation of the islands.

This is where local contacts/guides can really make the entire experience both safer and a lot more enjoyable.

As for gear, I happen to own the same Canon gear you listed. In less you have specific interest in a lot of birding, I would leave the 300mm f/4 IS home; at least if weights an issue. Using a tripod and a 1.4X on your 70-200mm f/4 will work for most long shots. I use 6x7 MF format gear and the Mamiya 7II w/43mm and 65mm are my favorites for the island thing. If I am doing a lot of walking and not knowing exactly what subjects I will run into, I will carry the 7II system I just mentioned, plus Canon 5D w/70-200mm f/2.8L IS.

Finally, rain, humidity, sea spray, and red-earth clay can destroy gear if you are not vigilant.

Anyways, I hope this Helps and Good Luck!

Nine days will be just enough time to cover the Big Island

The island is BIG.

U should stay on the Kona side (more sunny days). If your hotel is there than any point of interest will be about 50-100 miles away. Late aptil early May is a nice time to go to the BI. There will be no snow on Mona Kea, so you will be able to visit the obestvatory (in the early afternoon), take some pistures and do some stargazing.

Vulcanos - will take at least 1 day. You must go to the South point -- a very strange place with a lot of photo opportunities. There is a 8-mile hiking trail across the lava field. (take a lot of water - the lava is hot)

Another side of the island is a beautiful valey (?waymea) It is better to visit it early in the morning (the sun rises on that side of the island)

There are numerous small things like a green sand beach, black sand beach, white sand beach.....

There are very nice waterfalls and a botanical garden on the Hilo side of the island.

Sunsets are on the Kona side of the island.

Do not take a lot of gear. You will die if you decide to hike with it. Probably, MF camera and a couple of backs should be sufficient.

Get a 4WD car that is designed for off road use... (there are local car rental companies)

Do not go to the other islands - you will have no time to do that.

I went to the BI 3 times and would go there agian.

R Scott and Stan,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I need some clarifications on the following:

- Is Kona the same as Kailua-Kona?

- Any nice places to go scuba diving and swimming? Some people compaint being cut(hurt) by rocks (lava) whiling swimming near a hotel's beach. Any good hotels you can recommend that have good beaches for swimming?

- If I just stay on the Big Island, which hotel would you recommend?

Stan mentioned that if I stay in Kona, any points of interest is 50-100 miles away. What exactly do you mean by that? Driving 100-200 miles per day will 'eat' a lot of time.

- Most likely I'd go between 5/12 to 5/20/07. Will the weather be ok?

-Is it safe to leave some of my gears in the hotel while not using them?

Thanks again.

Hi Again I know very little about the Big Island, but Kailua-Kona is on the west coast. May is typically the LEAST rainy month, BUT which coast (windward or leeward) and elevation make a HUGE difference. Hilo might get 3-times the rain as Kona. You can see weather trends/graphs at city-data.com: http://www.city-data.com/city/Hawaii.html . Big Island is of course the volcanically active, so yes there are sections of coast where sharp lava rock can really do damage. The power of breaking waves should never be ignored. I will defer to Stan about any specific hotels/sites. I have too little, or recent, experience to go on for the Big Island. Same is true about leaving gear in hotels. Mostly security is commonsense; Hyatt or Four Season no worries, but even a Ramada, well... Keeping gear close is best, keeping out-of-sight is next best, front desk safe may or may not be a option. There are stainless-steel locking nets that can be wrapped around gear, locked to something like the toilet. There are also battery powered intrusion alarms that can be rigged. In any case triple-check your insurance coverage or consider special travelers insurance. The latter can be very affordable. My daughter spent 30 days in Peru with $5,000 worth of my gear and the insurance cost me only $180. That $180 even included emergency medical evacuation coverage!

Yes, Kailua-Kona is Kona. It is a long strip of hotels/stores along the shore. Look at the map of the BI (at Expedia).

The weather should be nice in may. The island is a little bit unusual in a way that it frequently rains at night, but is is almost always sunny in the morning and afternoon. Hilo side is more gloomy. I would not recommend to stay on the Hilo side.

The BI is not known for the beaches (too much of lava). There is a small and very quiet beach (Spencer beach). It is about 15-20 miles North of Kona. Locals go there. No stones, a lot of sand, no waves.

There is a small beach 4-5 miles South of Kona (right next to the drive that runs along the shore) I don't remember its name. The see bottom is ok - some dakr sand and some stones, but there are a lot of fishes and turtles, the water is very clean and there is no waves. A great place for snorkling.

I used to stay in Royal Kona hotel. Nothing fancy (except for breakfast buffet. It was really good. It definitely worth $10per a couple). No beach. 3-3.5 stars. The hotel was clean and relatively inexpensive ($100-125/night). It was located within a walking distance from Kona's small stores, restaurants... There are many more sofisticated hotels with private beaches, but they are located miles away from that strip. You can check out the hotels and read reviews at expedia.

Call the hotels before you book a room. There was an eartquake several months ago, so some of the properties were damaged.

Again, do not stay on the Hilo side.

The distances are logn because you have to drive along the shore. There is only one road that crosses the island - highway 200 - beautiful but scary road, particulary at night.

I would not leave anything valuable in the hotel. I never do.

Personally, my favorite island is Kauai. If you can get to Kauai, then <a href = "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waimea_Canyon">Waimea Canyon</a> is a must.<br /><br /> I also greatly enjoyed the Allerton Gardens that are managed by the <a href = "http://ntbg.org/tours.php">National Tropical Botanical Garden</a>. There are a lot of great shots to be had there. <br /><br /> If you do end up going to Kauai, I also recommend a napali coast trip. My favorite charter has been <a href = "http://www.kauaiboats.com/">Blue Dolphin</a>. If it is a clear day, it will blow your mind. <br /><br /> On the big island, you have the volcano park to the south, which is incredible. If you have the stamina, some of the hiking tours take you out to some active flows. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't get a chance to go out that far. There's also some great sunset sailing charters. The one I went on with my family (only six passengers on the boat) was from <a href = "http://www.sailkona.com/">Honu Charters</a> <br /><br />Heck, I sound like a stinking chamber of commerce advertisement. While it is nice to just kick back and some tourist-y stuff, sometimes it's best just to take a drive. I've circumnavigated both the Big Island, and Kauai each time I've been over there, and that can be a great day trip. You will see all kinds of great opportunities for amazing shots, as well as lots of non-photographic activities.<br /><br />Aloha!

If you go to Kauai, look up InterIsland Helicopter. They do great tours. When I was there I went on a tour in a Hughes 500 with the doors off and I got some great shots while we were flying. They landed in a little out of the way place with a little pond. We swam a little and ate lunch and flew back. GREAT! Oh, don't count on changing film or lenses or CF cards flying in a helicopter with the doors off. I used Fuji 100/1000 slide film at about 800 speed to keep the shutter speeds up. Man the wind was fierce.

As suggested Waimea canyon is great (very dry) in the south and the north is very lush and green. I stayed a week in the north and a week in the south. I went on a catamaran snorkeling trip too that was a lot of fun. I took a waterproof camera and I advise the same.

I don't know about the rest of Hawaii, but I have been to Kauai three times. In addition to the Waimea Canyon suggested above, I'd say that the Na Pali coast is not to be missed. The aforementioned helicopter trip will generally cover it from the air, but I suggest one of the sunset cruises as you will find the best light at that time. The helicopter trip will also take you near the Mount Waialeale summit with some absolutely outstanding waterfall photography. We used Jack Harter helicopters with an open window) and were very satisfied. Be advised that some helicopters have three seats across the back; don't get stuck in the middle seat.

My wife and I just did a 14 day cruise to Hawaii from LA. If you never been and want to see all of the islands this is the way to do it. The cost of the trip was $1100 per person that included the transportation to the islands from LA all food, room you only have to pack and unpack once. entertainment on board the ship and no need to worry about your equipment each room has a safe. In fact since your room travels with you you can bring as much stuff as you need.

My wife had never been to the islands but she wanted to see everything. (Wikiki, volcano, Maui,...) If you want a scouting trip cruising is not a bad way to go. You can also get a 7 day cruise from the islands. I have seen some as low as $599 for 7 days.

Here is a link to pictures from our trip

http://riwong.smugmug.com/gallery/2334408/1/122152251

If you want some more info just email me.

Thanks for the suggestions. Some of you mentioned the 4x4 4WD car. Is this a special 4X4 that is only available with local car rental companies. Or you just mean I should rent a 4WD SUV (i.e. Jeep Wrangler) at the airport.

Also, people repeatedly recommend a waterproof camera. What's the use of it? For underwater photography? Or because it's so damp/wet in Hawaii? Thank you.

Richard,

I grew up in Kona on the Big Island and my mother still lives there, so I get back home now and then. I currently live near DC, so I know the pain you're facing with the long flight. The luxurious hotels are found in the middle of lava fields in north Kona know as the Kohala Coast which is about 25 miles from Kailua. They are true resorts with everything any vacationers need found on them including PGA quality golf courses and most hotels also can set you up with tours, diving, and helicopter rides if you don't want to do much research.

As for what to see, Volcanoes National Park is a must see and an all day trip. As previously mentioned, the eastern side (Hilo side) is the wet side which also makes is home to some amazing waterfalls, like Akaka Falls, and some beautiful botanical gardens, including the Japanese gardens in downtown Hilo. About 30 miles north of Hilo is Waipio Valley, a tour to the bottom will lead to some hidden waterfalls and other photogenic scenes. The northern part of the island is paniolo country (the Hawaiian cowboy) some ranches provide horseback tours as well. The west side (Kona side) offers the most variety and is the best side for ocean activity. Scuba diving is not necessary, snorkeling will be fine. The hotel should have rentals and advice about where to go. Pu'uhonua O Honaunau (City of Refuge) is a decent snorkeling spot and also a good place to learn about Hawaiian history. Small/private guided tours are your best bet to find hidden spots.

Someone mentioned that the Big Island isn't known for its beaches. That just simply isn't true. It's true that a lot of the coast is rocky, but by no means will finding a beach be a problem.

Hope this helps,

Justin

The Big Island is, as the name implies, big. So you might want to consider dividing your time between dry touristy Kona and the more authentically Hawaiian town of Hilo on the east side of the island.

<p>I've stayed in both places and find Hilo much more interesting. Kona itself is an overdeveloped tourist spot set among barren, fairly recent lava flows. The main attraction is its tourist development, along with a dry sunny climate (though there is a paucity of sandy beaches). Hilo gets a lot more rain and also doesn't have any of the white sandy beaches that draw tourists. Attempts to develop a tourist trade there have failed for that reason, which gives Hilo a distinct character that Kona lacks. But the rain means lush greenery, waterfalls, and tropical gardens. It's also closer to the Kilauea volcano than Kona, which makes it a better base for excursions there.

<p>The weather in Hawaii is fairly constant throughout the year, although the winter months usually get more rain. So May should be just fine. As for camera equipment, I would suggest leaving the medium format at home and sticking to 35mm, especially if the trip is a romantic anniversary getaway. The 28-70/2.8 and 70-200/4L should be just fine (I had consumer versions of lenses in those ranges when I went).

<p>Check out Ray Riegert's <i>Hidden Hawaii</i> for some out-of-the-way photo sopts. You might also enjoy <a href="http://www.tedsimages.com/text/bigisle.htm">my photo travel essay on the Big Island</a>. I also have pictures of <a href="http://www.tedsimages.com/text/hawaii.htm">the other four major islands</a>.

Binyuan,

I am a twice returner to Maui and Kauai. Both are fantastic.

Maui Highlights: Io Needle, Road to Hana (fantastic waterfalls, Black and Red Sand Beaches), fantastic Snorkeling (best of the islands, from my experience), Haleakala Nat Park and a Sunrise to remember. The snorkeling cruises largely go to an offshre volcano with reef; it is just too heavily visited IMHO.

Kauai: I think has been pretty well covered; its my favorite island with all the Waterfalls, Gardens, Native Fish ponds, excellent snorkeling, the Canyon, and North west coast. After the Canyon continue up to Ko'ke State Park, great birding, great native vegetation, and excellent birding.

Oahu-I'm not a huge fan of Oahu, (too busy on the South side anyway, haven't visited the rest of the island),but Pearl Harbour is obviously worth visiting.

Everyone, thanks a lot for your information and suggestions. Just wondering no one ever mentioned the Honolulu and Pearl Harbour. A friend of mine went to Hawaii 2 years ago. She mentioned about submarine tour underwater.

Where can we take a submarine tour? Does it have to be on Honolulu? Thanks.

<i>Where can we take a submarine tour? Does it have to be on Honolulu? Thanks.</i> <br /><br /> There is a submarine tour on the Big Island. Whichever island(s) you end up visiting, I believe the submarine company is called Atlantis Submarines. They are on the Big Island and Oahu that I know of.

Hi there, any question. If we could extend our vacation by 3 days to make it a 12-day stay. Do you think it's practical going to both Kauai and Big Island.

5/12-5/16 in Kauai (3-1/2 days)and

5/17-5/22 in Big Island (6 days).

If we need more time on both islands, we might just go to Big Island and stay there for 8-9 days. Next time, we fly to Kauai directly and spend the vacation there.

It's just too expensive to go to Hawaii and the long-flights from New York is tiring.

What's your suggestion if you were in my situation? Visit one island this time and explore it thorough? Or go to both and have a reasonable tour on both islands. Hard decision to make!

Kauai and The Big Island are similar.

If you can extend your vacation then go to Oahu (Honolulu).

You will have a chance to learn about the polynesian culture. Go to the polynesian cultural center( it will take a day) and Bishop museum. Pearl harbor is right next to Honolulu, so you can spend a day or so over there.

Hanauma bay (Oahu) is beautiful. It is a very nice place for snorekling.

If you decide to go to Oahu/polynesian cultural center then you should not attend any other local cultural events on the other islands.

You will have about eight or 10 hours of singing and dancing, so don't overdose yourself with the polynesian culture...)))

(this happend to me when I went to Oahu for the firtst time)

I don't consider myself an "expert" on Hawaii, but it is the one place on earth that I have

probably visited the most with a camera and specifically looking to come home with one or

two "great shots."

Kauai is a wonderful place for a photographer, and all the things others have said about it

are absolutely true. However, since I am a history buff--U. S. Civil War and World War II--I

was particularly interested in seeing the most obscure little patch of WWII history that you

could imagine and it was on Kauai.

Nawiliwili Habor on Kauai underwent a naval bombardment by the Japanese submarine I-3

on December 31, 1941. The sub fired 15 rounds of 3-inch ammunition from its deck gun

but most of the fuzes were defective and few exploded.

One of these defective rounds went right through one of those huge diesel oil storage

tanks that you often see near harbors, but it didn't explode (fortunately.) Being wartime

and just 24 days after the Pearl Harbor attack, the tank repair was made quickly using an

odd-shaped piece of scrap metal about 8-inches by 12-inches that was far from having

any side the same length. The metal was welded to the tank where the shell hit, about 18

feet high.

To this day that emergency patch of the Nawiliwili Harbor oil storage tank is still there, a

stark reminder of WWII and within sight of the tourist boat dock and a nearby beach. It

didn't make much of a photograph but it was fun to seek it out and find it there after more

than 50 years. (That same night, by the way, another Japanese sub shelled Hilo on the Big

Island and a third sub made the mistake of shelling the city of Kahului on Maui. That city

was defended by a U. S. Army Coast Artillery equipped with heavy guns which returned fire

and drove the sub away quickly.)

Personally--from my arcane history interests as you can see from above--I don't think

United States citizen should visit Hawaii without planning to stop for at least one day on

Oahu and visit Pearl Harbor and the U. S. S. Arizona memorial. Oil still leaks from the

submerged hulk of the Arizona some 65+ years after it was sunk by Japanese bombers,

taking more than 1,100 officers and seamen of the U. S. Navy down with it. The Arizona

memorial (built over the ship's final resting place--the hulk partly visible through the

water) serves as a point of solemn reflection on the utter useless purposes of nearly all

wars in history.

Again, if interested in history, don't forget to visit the WWII submarine U. S. S. Bowfin

which is open every day for tours. There is a great submarine museum on the dock beside

the sub. The Bowfin was the only submarine known to ever sink a school bus! That's a

great story in itself.

And the Bowfin is not far from where the U. S. S. Missouri is docked and open to visitors.

The Missouri is the battleship on which the Japanese surrender bringing an end to WWII

was signed. If you've never been on a battleship with 16-inch guns, it's worth the visit for

anybody. You won't see another one ever built. The Missouri served as late as the First

Gulf War of 1991 and by making a small extra donation you can get a specially guided tour

throughout the inside of the ship including the CIC (Combat Information Center) still with

it's plexiglass maps marked with crayons from 1991) and the Captain's Quarters and

dining room that can seat about 20.

If you are NOT interested in history, be sure to visit Maui and Lahaina Harbor. Twenty

years ago it hadn't changed much since WWII and before. Today--I was back in 2004--

there are more hotels and 10X traffic, but it is still a fun town to visit and neat harbor to

tour.

Take your 35mm or digital SLR gear only, but take a tripod too as there are some days you

will want it either for depth of field, long exposures or for shooting moving water. Also,

there is very inexpensive inter-island air transportation. Flights are every hour and if you

want to really save money, wait standby with the natives and fly for about $25 each way.

Why not shorten your travel time? You can take Continental's nonstop flight from Newark to Honolulu. No stopovers, no change of planes, no chance for the bags to go astray in California.

I usually spend 2-3 weeks in Hawaii every October or November and never do a stopover. Just a thought on saving time.

Enjoy your trip and remember that no one does not enjoy Hawaii!

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

RE: 4x4 vehicle rentals: FWIW, I've been advised by a number of locals in HI that it's pointless to rent them because the rental companies make you sign contracts that you basically won't take the car anywhere a 4x4 would be needed (isolated rough roads, green sand beach, up to the observatory). Break the contract and you are on your own so far as towing costs and repairs. You also pay a huge rental premium for a 4x4 over a regular car. After getting a lot of input on Tripadvisor.com , I'm opting for a regular rental car on my upcoming trip and will spend the money I save on a longer helicopter ride!