What I did not like about the Manfrotto product is that it uses the

Super Clamp, which is quite heavy at 450 grams (1 lb) and in this

case an overkill by far, all the support needs to do is dampen

vibrations.

I replaced the Super Clamp with a plastic carpenter's clamp, attached

using a hose clamp only. The hose clamp is tightened to avoid any

play while still allowing rotation. The resulting assembly weighs

only 335 grams (11.5 oz), a weight savings by 400 grams, and is quite

adequate for field use with my 480 mm lens at 25" extension.

Hello,

My equipments are not so different with yours, and I'm just thinking about long lens

support.

I want to purchase 'same' parts via internet, which you used in modifying long lens

support. (and I'm in Korea)

Please give me information.

Can it be used with Ries' wood tripod?

Also, can I exchange ball head from long lens support to other products?

Thank you for all.

younghoon KIL - The original assembly is called Manfrotto 359 Long Lens Support in Europe. The American importer Bogen uses different product numbers - see the Manfrotto website.

The 359 consists of three parts:

1. An extendable rod with a 3/8" thread at one end and a 5/8"standard attachment for lighting supports at the other end

2. A tiny ballhead with 1/4" screw to the camera side and 3/8" socket to attach to the rod.

3. A Manfrotto Super Clamp - see the Manfrotto website. The Super clamp is the heavy part.

As you can see in my photos, I purchased two parts to replace the Super Clamp. I went to a well equipped hardware store, bought one stainless steel hose clamp and one carpenter's clamp normally used for fixing when glueing pieces of wood.

To find the proper carpenter's clamp I took the rod with me to the hardware store to try different clamps. The one I bought is quite small, does not open more than perhaps 40 mm but that is enough to grab one of my tripod legs. With a wooden tripod it might be different so you have to try the clamp before buying.

When you tighten the stainless hose clamp you must not tighten it too much, as the clamp must be able to rotate to allow for different angles and focusing.

I also made a small modification to my camera by adding a 1/4" thread below the front standard. For this I used a 3/8"-1/4" reduction thread, drilled a 9 mm hole through the front board, and glued the thread in place using wood glue.

Remember that this rod is only for stabilizing, not for supporting the camera. So even after my modifications it is still overdimensioned.

I hope this helps. If you need more detailed information then email me privately and I will send you some more closeup photos.

• 1 year later...