8x10 a couple of pictures from the river

<p>havent shot any 8x10 in a while, my son decided he wanted to learn old school photography, so we went down to the old ocoee river and shot a couple of sheets. of course i let him lug the beast around, after we were finished he looked at me and said "dad i think i would like one of those good hand held cameas"</p><div>00U3F8-158775584.jpg.85eabcd5b7a17762b3e42c8ccb9af3d2.jpg</div>

<p>this one was also 24 sec, except i cut my dev time to 5.5 minutes. both images were shot @ f45, arista edu ultra <a href="mailto:100@50">100@50</a>, this film probably has the worst reciprocity in the world but its cheap. lens was a 240mm symmar s. </p>

<p>Very nice, John. Too bad the 700 pixels allowed by PN does not do justice to the actual 8X10 print. I think it's great that your son is interested in learning photography the "old fashioned way", and he helps lug around your equipment. So.....which of your hand held cameras are you going to let him use?</p>

<p>Nice images both, John. As a studio photographer, 8x10 was THE standard format I used for many years. However, I never had the grit to haul the thing around in the field. Although your son may not take a liking to it, I'm sure the experience was invaluable for him. Well Done.</p>

<p>One sheet at a time in a tray, though if you want to take the risk of scratching, you may do several at a time. Another method is to line up several trays for developer and do them at the same time in different trays. Personally I prefer one sheet at a time. It enables me to evaluate a sheet before doing another, eliminates scratching and gives me time for mental activity without the chance of messing up sheets of film.</p>

<p>thanks for the nice comments fellows, stuart i will probably let him use the rollei, i was hoping he would be interested in doing contact prints with the big negs but oh well. david, i tray dev my film, rock the tray coninuous the first 30 sec then rock the tray for 5 sec every 30 sec until time up. my dev time varies with every exposure, seems i can never get a normal time, but that is part of the fun. the arista edu ultra film cost about 2.00 a sheet and i have went through alot of it trying to figure out its quirks, not a bad film though. btw my camera is the beastly cambo legend, not sure what it weighs, but the damn thing is heavy, i wished i would have waited and bought some kind of field camera, one guy wrote in another thread that the legend makes a good field camera as long as you are not walking more than 10 feet from your car. : ))</p>

Nice Exposures. I don't envy you or your son in carrying that thing around. I often defer to a folder, rather than carry a 2x3 Speed. I'm basically lazy. I love the idea of father and son, I fear if my son was really interested I'd ruin it for him by my sheer exuberance pushing info and questions all the time. I think I'm going to have to give him one (hand-held) of his own and see if he wants to use it. He'd never come to me, so it's super that you've got such a great relationship, I'm envious!! How are you metering? I'm surprised by 24 secs, seems long, but I have no idea!! Never done anything quite like it. You mentioned reciprocity, and cheap. and I'd accept reciprocity with cheap too...

<p>hi chuck, im metering with a pentax spot meter, it was very late in the afternoon, actually early evening so the lighting wasnt that great. my iso is 50 and the meter read 8 sec, but good ole arista edu ultra i had to hold the lens open for 24 sec, and i think the lens i had on the camera at the time probably doesnt weigh that much less than an rb 67 lol. thanks for the nice comment</p>

<p>this really has nothing to do with this thread, but i have been reading about paper negatives and thought i would try it, alot cheaper than film, i shot this with my legend and 8x10 grade 2 paper, exposure time was 30 sec, next time i will try around 24, blew the sky out a bit then i contact printed the neg on vc paper, its just some woods out in front of my house</p><div>00U3l0-159075784.jpg.ad7278c864913cdd6d498a242907725e.jpg</div>

• 2 months later...
<p>Last summer I used quite a lot of 8x10 sheet film. I liked the film. I did not do scientific tests, but compared to HP5, I would say that's it's pretty contrasty, and that it is sensitive to increases and decreases of more than 10 percent. Ditto temperature. I live having a cheaper film for 8x10. I"l send a sample when Ifigure how to. But scans pretty wipe out the subtle character of contact prints. </p>