85mm f/2.8D Tilt/Shift Micro Nikkor.

claudio_aspesi

Well, I think except in macro photography, propective control is most useful in a wide angle lens of around 28 mm. So with the 85mm T/S, you are really getting a very capable macro lens, but not much of a generalized prospective control lens.

I think that will make a dandy portrait lens as well as a macro

and table top still life lens. As a portrait lens I am less interested

in the swing feature then in the ability to use the shift capabilities

to fine tune my framing. i've used the lens a little with my F5, and

as been pinted out -- it isn't an autofocus lens, and once you

start shifting you are likely to throw the metering off. It isalso at

macro focusing distances a slightly longer focal length lens than

any verison ofthe 105mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor (at 1/2x and higher

magnification ratios, the 105 m-N becomes an 80mm focal

length according to what I've read.)

This is a very "studied" lens. I personally love it, but it's not a fast lens

to use. For example, it is not a auto aperture lens in that to focus you

have to manually open the aperture (there is a sort of extended button on

the housing), then remember to push it back in to the correct metered

aperture before shooting. Best macro I've ever used on a 35mm because

of the tilts.

Have you considered the PB-4 bellows? This bellows unit allows you to shift and tilt the lens. Perhaps its movements are not as fine as the pc-nikkor's, but will work fine with any lens. And will cost you much less - this was my reason purchasing it instead of the 85mm pc lens.

Rick, I used the pb-4 mostly with my pc35 lens reversed with 2 sb28 flashes. I could go beyond 1:6 with this combo. Exposure wise, I rely completely on the flash system, which does a great job. The only thing I have to take care to set the lens' aperture on the flashes.

<p>

I never used the tilt-shift features of the bellows, as my subjects were moving all round, and had no time to set the right focusing plane. I was happy to get them in focus.

<p>

For non macro work there is only one nikkor, the 4/105 Bellows-Nikkor which is pretty hard - if not impossible - to purchase. For more info on the Bellows-Nikkor follow this thread:

<a href="

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000eZG">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000eZG</a>

<p>

cheers,

I've played around with the 85/2.8 on an N90. I think it makes a dandy macro lens. The tilt thing is useful but probably not as useful as the shift -- if you've used movements in closeup photography you'll appreciate this. You'd probably be using that f/45 stop before you could generate useful DOF through tilt in the macro range.

I also think the 85/2.8 is a more convenient solution for movements than the 105/4 P and the PB-4. The 85/2.8 is smaller and more convenient to stop down via the plunger. All you'll miss from the PB-4 is the built in focusing rail. You certainly won't miss Nikon's flimsy bellows material, or the joys of trying to mount a motor-driven body to a Nikon bellows...

The 105/4 bellows lens and a PB-5 was my "macro lens" for years and while it acquitted itself well, I can't say that I'm going to miss it that much. And despite what people say about this lens being so very thin on the ground, they're common enough on $&%#bay and (for this purpose) interchangeable with the various enlarger lenses which you could easily mount up with a BR-ring and a thread adapter.

I own this lens and have used it a couple dozen times over the last 2 years on an F100. It's not an easy lens to use. Optically, the lens is very sharp from 5 feet to infinity. However, I have not been able to get sharp images using full tilt on macro close-ups. It may be a stability problem since the lens does not have its own tripod mount. For macros, I really like the Micro Nikkor 200 D.