85 1.8 vs 100 2.0

james_ogara1

I have the 85 and had the 100. I kept the 85 because I felt it was superior in resolution & contrast.

There's an actual test somwhere on the NET (I believe it may be Castlemann site) where those two lenses are compares in a legit, scientific way and, again, the 85 came out on top, if I recall correctly.

Strangely enough, there are sites which rate the 100 above the 85...so, you are now back to where you started ;)

I have the 85mm 1.8 and are better than my 24-70 2.8,17-40,50/1.8,35-80/3.5 and the 28-75/2.8. the pictures are have a beatiful blurry background,the colors are kind of more contrasty,and sharper.

if you do a search on this lens you will find that they are higly reagarded.

other lens that are as good or better are the 135/2

but if you buy the 85 I can promise you one thing,You will not regret it.

I have the 85 1.8 and the 100 2.8 macro. I do not find that the 85 1.8 lets you get tight enough for a head shot only. The 100 on the other hand does let you take tight shots of peoples' faces. I do not know for you but I picked the slower 2.8 for it doubles as a macro lens as well as a portrait lens. Be warned that the 100 macro is a little too sharp for flattering portraits. I think you can always diffuse a sharp lens but you cannot do the reverse.

The most important thing to do is NOT rely on what other people tell you. For example, you'll read the 85mm is sharper than the 100mm wide open. In fact this has been stated here. I suspect this is based on William Castleman's tests of the two lenses rather than first-hand experience. My first-hand experience, however, is the opposite of William's. (I own the 100mm.)

So...if you can do so try 'em both for yourself and pick the one you prefer. There's too much sample variation and testing variation for anyone else's opinion but your own to be definitive.

-Dave-

As a 10D owner (1.6x crop), I bought an 85mm f/1.8 for 135mm FOV equivalency, just as I bought a 50mm to achieve a near-85mm FOV. As noted above, it's a great lens, although I don't find myself using it as much as my 70-200 zoom.

The only thing I DON'T like about it is the clip-on style lens hood (as opposed to the bayonet-style on most other Canon hoods).

In "scientific" tests there may be differences, but in real-world situations (meaning if you actually use the lens to photograph normal daily subjects), there is no difference between them.

Both will also make good "kind of macro" with an extension tube. The 85 and 135 L are one step up, but at a price (law of diminishing returns).

People can debate these subjects forever, but if, as you say, the focal lenght does not impact your decision, just toss a coin in the air and go out and use it.

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/100-2

this reviwever sure likes his 100/2.

85/1.8or 100/2? It makes more sense to me to take into consideration what other lenses one has. I see two possibilities; you are either a 24-35-85 man, or a 28-50-100 man. I find the 50mm and 85mm perspectives a little to close - so I opted for the 100mm/2. The telephoto compression effect is a bit more 'noticeable' from 100mm on.

A final note; I have truly started believing that there is a bit of quality-control lottery involved in EF merchandise...<div>009tMN-20161484.jpg.c54e530cd9880ccfdbe81603ad30cc38.jpg</div>

15mm and a third of a stop!

They're both great lenses. Just pick the one that a) fits in with the lenses you've got [i.e.

24/50/100] or b) the focal length you prefer for portraits [you will need to get a little

closer with the 85mm for a tight composition].

Its really too close to call. I have the 85, mainly because the shop had that and no 100mm!

I am very very happy with it.

carl