85/1.4 Zeiss or 85/1.4 AF Nikon

35mmdelux

According to my experinece Nikon only has CA in out of focus areas wide open, it vanishes 2 stops down, other

than that there is no objectionable CA issue; btw I don't know if Zeiss behaves differently in similar conditions.

Despite having screwdriver mechanism focusing is very fast on a D300, IMO having autofocus on this kind of lens is

extremely important because of the very thin DOF wide open. <br><br>

<a href = "http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=21244546">Here</a> is a very good

comparision with the Zeiss.

I have the 85/1.4 AF-D and it's one of my favorite people photography lenses. Awesome optical quality, fast &

secure focusing. The AF on this lens works well. I don't really want an update to

SWM in the case of this lens. It's just too perfect optically - great saturation, resistance to flare & ghosting,

excellent wide aperture sharpness, nice bokeh, good rendition of skin.

I tried the 85/1.4 ZF briefly outdoors. I felt it was wonderful for f/2-f/5.6 - great image quality, probably a

bit better than the Nikon. However, at short distances wide open I felt the image was softer than the Nikon's.

This is, from what I've read, intentional - the lens gives a soft focus effect at f/1.4 at portrait distances.

The CA which is considerable at f/1.4 in the Zeiss goes away already at f/2, which is great performance. However,

you need to nail the focus!

I didn't feel the 85 ZF was sufficiently different from the 85 AF-D which I have to warrant the expense. I'm

extremely happy with my Nikon 85, so I didn't want to change something that works so well for me. Since you haven't

already purchased one of the 85's, if you don't mind the MF/AF difference, you should just try both out and see

what you think of the image quality. I couldn't say that one is universally better than the other. So it boils

down to a personal choice. And if you need autofocus from time to time. This is one of Nikon's classic lenses

which is very hard to criticise.

I really enjoy my Nikon 85 f1.4. The only issue I ran into was shooting wide open, on a bridge looking at oncoming cars on a freeway. There was definite CA. Stop down to 1.8-2 and it's gone. This is the only annoyance I've ever found.

I've found the lens has more resolution than my D200 can deliver, based on seeing the weave of a t-shirt at medium portrait range and it was clear there was more data available.

As all lenses have compromises, this one is well worth. The sharpness & resolution blows away any zoom lens containing this focal length.

Jose, the 70-200mm is "better" at 200mm but the 85mm/f1.4 is better at f1.4.

Sorry, just can't resist. :-)

Given the fact that Nikon has announced a new 50mm/f1.4 AF-S, I think it is reasonable to assume that they will also update other "primes" such as the 85mm/f1.4 to an AF-S in the not-too-distant future, but it is hard to say exactly how long that will take.

Ilkka,

Would you care to post an examplar or two from the Nikon 85mm f/1.4?

I find that I typically only use mine in the worst possible lighting conditions and @ f1/.4, resulting in lots of CA. For other uses, I haven't been pleased with the lens and tend to turn to my 105mm f/2 DC. For me, the 85mm has been one of the most disappointing lenses. It would be nice to see what other people are doing with it successfully.

I have already had a look at photozone site; looks like performance is similar on both 1.4 lenses with a slight higher

level and even performance on the Zeiss. The issue is to have AF or not. To me AF is a must on the F6.

Out of curiosity, I checked how this people rates the 24-70 in comparison with the 50/1.8AFS "test bench".

Impressive: the 24-70 performs better and surpass the peaks of the 50/1.8 @f4, and at all shared apertures too.

Anyway, I understand that are different lenses designed for different purposes.

The same for the 70-200 vs 85/1.4: MTF levels are higher and more even on the zoom, with a higher bit of CA issues

at the same apertures.

All this data were took for DX cameras, thought, and probably at infinity. Corner performance/vignetting on FX

cameras or resolution at closer distances could be pretty different.

John, I usually don't go wider than f/1.8 with this lens. If in emergency, I will shoot at f/1.4 but I will admit

the quality at f/1.4 is not entirely satisfactory. If you're looking for better quality 85 at f/1.4 then I think

the Canon 85/1.2L might be worth considering. To me the Nikon 85 is a delight.

Tight

Kung fu 5

These are at f/1.8, if I recall correctly; the first at ISO 800 and the latter at ISO 3200. They print quite

well; I'm not sure about the pixel level quality of the web versions though.

• 2 weeks later...