85 1.4 test

steve_phillipps

<p>In the f1.4 shot you got the focus really nailed at the black background with the thin white stripes :-) It may be only 1 mm or less but still....</p>

<p>Also I wonder if this lens focal plane is very flat? So if not then an almost flat, very near object may not be a perfect test object.</p>

<p>What type of post processing did you apply? In some areas of the second image at f4 it looks like artifacts from PP.</p>

<p>Seriously - I suppose accurate focus is very difficult to obtain at f1.4. And lens testing is a tricky business.</p>

<p>According to the EXIF data, the "85mm" images are with a 50mm lens, so I'm confused. But at any rate, with depth of field this small, the first thing to do would be to check for back focus and correct any problem there, because this appears to be a problem.</p>

<p>OK, now we got that nailed down and I will offer that I see about the same difference between f/1.4 and f/4 on my 50mm f/1.4 (and I should note that I tested 4 samples in the store and picked the best one several years ago). I don't own the 85mm, however, so I can't comment on it specifically. I will still suggest that you check for back focus, although I don't see as much evidence of that in these shots. And on that subject, since the last images have a smaller subject, I found that the spot being used by the camera to determine the focus did not correspond precisely with the focus marks in the viewfinder (I was using the eyes in my very patient Teddy Bear test). Lens testing like this is not an exact science without laboratory equipment.</p>

<p><em>how do you access the EXIF data on these links?</em> <br /> If you are using Firefox, there are several add-ons available. I happen to be using one called "FxIF". Just right-click on the image and it comes up as a menu item. There are others available that give even more information like "EXIF Viewer", just search on EXIF in the add-on search.</p>

<p>Steve,<br>

My 85 f1.4 is quite sharp when wide open in the centre. I think you may have got the foucs wrong in the first test shot or have a back focus issue. I've attached a real world image shot wide open, shot on my D3. Foucs point was her right eye.</p>

<p> </p><div>00VnVr-221577584.jpg.1622c80ab0a58c0d7e09172e04d1f555.jpg</div>

<p>I shoot with the 85 1.2L and anything wide than 2.8 I alway suse manual focus. I prefer a tripod and on my 5D Mark II I use Live-View to zoom in 100% to get dead on manual focus. If shooting hand held even slight motion will cause my focus point to shift causing a blurred photo. With these high end lenses it is more often technique rather than issues with the lens.</p>