800mm f6.7 rear filter

steve_phillipps

<p>Managed to get hold of an 800mm f6.7 - hell of a lens!<br>

Unfortunately the image through the camera is incredibly soft. I've got this on approval so no probs, but with it came a repair note stating that it had had the second from front element damaged and repaired so I'm assuming this is probably the reason. BUT, one thing that did occur to me was that it doesn't have a filter in its rear slot and just wondering if this is part of the optical path and not having it in place could be the reason for softeness?<br />Steve</p>

<div>00Xmi3-307789684.jpg.56fa60180d12ce750b590accf2f4b8f4.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Steve, nice lens. I do not know about the requirement (if any) for a rear filter on the 800, but there is a discussion regarding the 400 here: <a href="00FU53">http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00FU53</a><br>

Apparently a rear filter on that lens is not needed to complete the optical path, might even hurt it. By the way...I'm envious! Regards.</p>

<p>Thanks Walter, well if it performs as badly as it looks through the viewfinder you're welcome to it!<br /> Seriously though, it is a nice lens, fairly well built, I always liked side focus wheels (although the one on this is not super smooth but OK).<br /> I'll try to post some test shots if I can get them scanned.<br /> Steve</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure the element that you described that was repaired is one of the ED elements for the 800. The fact that this element was surrounded by two negative elements leads me to believe that this was one of those highly weatherable exotic glasses. You might try shining a flashlite into the front of this beast to see if there are any hazy elements, especially the one that was repaired. I do not recommend the use of rear filters for the long Pentax lenses. Too many reflections are created, even when using multi-coated filters. The 800, like the other long lenses is susceptible to shutter vib in the 1/2 to 1/30 second range.</p>

<p>Yes, that is a giant tripod and head but try shooting it at an 1/8 second to see if it has any shutter problems.</p>

<p>The fact that the image improves with stopping down leads me to think that it is not haze but aberrations, since most aberrations are reduced by the diaphragm. Faulty repair? Probably.</p>

<p>My opinion (like others) is that the lens elements were specified, probably made, ground, polished, coated, etc. then assembled by Pentax.<br>

Any alteration to that optical path, like the stated "re-grind" would remove material from an element designed by Pentax.</p>

<p>I would not keep the lens, if you have right of return. It may take awhile, but there are other 800s out there.<br>

Best of luck.</p>

<p>That looks a lot like bad spherical aberration. My guess is that one of the front lenses was reassembled backwards, or placed in the wrong order, or spaced incorrectly. As for regrinding, they can hardly mean what it comes across as: whittling down the glass thickness just to get rid of a defect. That would be plain idiotic. So I'm sure they mean that a <em>replacement </em>lens element was ground to match the one which was damaged.</p>

<p>You could give them one more chance: send it back and ask for the elements to be checked, reassembled and optical-bench tested before returning it to you again. Specifically ask for an interferometric test or at least a Ronchi grating test, and to refund your money if they cannot deliver it back with Rayleigh diffraction limited performance (max 1/4 wavelength error). Pentax produces outstanding long focus ED optics (highly prized by astro-imagers); they would never stand over an optic as poor as the one you got; and they must instantly admit there's a problem if these tests reveal it.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...