80-400 newest version focus problem

andylynn

Hello all,

I recently bought a package that included a used D800 and newest (G with N mark) version of the 80-400. The camera works great aside from focusing this lens. The lens hunts, makes funny noises and then stops trying to focus. It has the same problems on my F100. The seller swears it worked great when he tried it before he shipped it, and he seems like a reliable guy.

Is this a known problem? He reset the camera before shipping - is there a setting or firmware update I need? Or does it just sound like the lens was damaged in shipping? There is shipping insurance.

Hello all,

I recently bought a package that included a used D800 and newest (G with N mark) version of the 80-400. The camera works great aside from focusing this lens. The lens hunts, makes funny noises and then stops trying to focus. It has the same problems on my F100. The seller swears it worked great when he tried it before he shipped it, and he seems like a reliable guy.

Is this a known problem?

Known problem? If you are wondering whether all samples of the 80-400 AF-S VR has AF hunt and makes funny noises, I can say absolutely not. I have had one since 2013, the year Nikon introduced this lens. Prior to that I had a test sample from Nikon for a while. Both samples are great. This is an excellent lens. (I also had a refurbished one for a short while. I determined that it was still defective and returned it.)

I am not going to speculate what the issue is with the one you bought used, without an opportunity to check that out in person. Not sure exactly what that “funny noise” is.

Known problem? If you are wondering whether all samples of the 80-400 AF-S VR has AF hunt and makes funny noises, I can say absolutely not. I have had one since 2013, the year Nikon introduced this lens. Prior to that I had a test sample from Nikon for a while. Both samples are great. This is an excellent lens. (I also had a refurbished one for a short while. I determined that it was still defective and returned it.)

I am not going to speculate what the issue is with the one you bought used, without an opportunity to check that out in person. Not sure exactly what that “funny noise” is.

Understood. I think you've answered my question - this one is damaged.

That is a likely scenario.

In case you are not that familiar with these long AF-S teles yourself, maybe ask someone who is familiar with Nikon DSLRs to take a look, just in case you have overlooked something or have wrong settings.

Do you have another camera you can use to test the lens?

Lens problems can occur when the contacts on the lens or camera are dirty. Use an alcohol wipe to clean both of oil and dirt. Do not use a pencil eraser. Erasers have abrasives which will permanently damage gold-flashed contacts. Alcohol wipes can be purchased at any pharmacy, sealed in foil pouches, and they don't leave lint or streaks, Theyre great for cleaning filters too (best not for lenses, unless you bunch them up and use them like a brush).

Using the same camera and settings on the lens, compare yours and another (from a friend or in a store) - focus and shoot a few frames under identical situations, check the results; then you will know for sure whether or not it has a problem.