80-200AFS + 1.4 or 1.7TC Better Than 70-300VR?

john_hinkey

<p>I have both the 80-200AFS and the 70-300VR. Love the IQ of the 80-200AFS as well as the 70-300VR (from 70-250mm that is). I'm about to go on vacation and am thinking of lugging the 80-200AFS + 1.4TC or 1.7TC to get better IQ at the long end.<br>

Has anyone compared the 80-200AFS + either of these teleconverters (TC14EII or TC17EII) to the 70-300VR at the 300mm end?<br>

Thanks -<br>

John</p>

<p>Hi John,</p>

<p>I have the exact setup you describe and although I haven't done a head-to-head comparison of the two lenses (+/- TCs), anecdotal evidence indicates the 80-200 even with TCs is sharper. Having said that, I recently captured photos at 1/30s @ 300mm with the 70-300 (VR active) which is something I have never come close to with the other lens. The 80-200 may be sharper, but you're likely to have to bump your ISO in lower light conditions (or loose DoF) so in the end the optical advantage the lens provides will be lost to sensor noise and lower color rendition/dynamic range. If that doesn't convince you, think of it this way - it is your VACATION - a time to relax and enjoy yourself. Will carrying around the extra weight in the name of clarity which won't be noticeable below large prints be worth it? Personally, I leave my 80-200 at home when I go abroad.</p>

<p>Mike</p>

<p>My experience is that the 80-200mm/f2.8 AF-S does not work very well with teleconverters. If you put a 1.4x or 1.7x TC onto that lens, you need to stop down to get sharp images. But by doing so, you'll have a very long lens that you cannot open winder than f5.6 to f8, and there is no VR. Vibration from a long lens will make it difficult to get sharp images, regardless of how good (or bad) the optics is.</p>

<p>Hopefully you'll be using that lens on a tripod. That is key to sharp images.</p>

<p>I'll have my TC-14E II early next week, to go with my 80-200/2.8 AF-S. From tests that I have done the 80-200/2.8 AF-S is clearly better in image quality than the Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 ED which is supposed to be as good as or better than the latest VR version. I'll keep you posted on the 1.4x combo next week. </p>

<p>Unless I am filling the frame with the 80-200 at f2.8 I much prefer to stop down, even if only to f3.2. Yes that tiny difference makes for a significant gain in contrast and CA control. So I do suspect that stopping down to f4 with the TC-14 making it f5.6 will be required. I also suspect that this combo at an effective f5.6 will outperform the 70-300 VR at the same aperture though. </p>

<p>With big camera/lens combos monopods are always nice just to rest your arms and back but as long as you maintain a shutter speed of 1/640 to 1/1000 (quite achievable in sunlight) you don't need the monopod let alone a tripod.</p>

<p>Obviously the VR zoom is a handy lightweight travel lens but if you want superior images taken in daylight situations the 80-200/2.8 would be worth carrying. Heck I am replacing my 2500 gram 200/2 AI with the 80-200/2.8 zoom and it already seems very light to me! I do have to admit though that I am giving up significant sharpness for the benefits of superfast autofocus and zoom capability. Blasphemy! I am moving into the new millenium. However, for myself, VR and lightweight, would not be enough justification for another similar drop in image quality to go with the 70-300 VR. </p>

<p>I have only done a few quick tests but so far the TC-14E II absolutely destroys my TC-14B! </p>

<p>The 80-200/2.8 AFS with the TC-14E II stopped down one step to an effective f5.6 is significantly sharper than the 70-300/4.5-5.6 ED at f5.6. Therefore I highly suspect that the 80-200/TC-14E II combo will also be superior to the 70-300 VR.</p>

<p>Wide open the 80-200/2.8 and TC-14E II are quite sharp but as without the TC-14E II there is a loss of contrast. Overall the effect of the TC-14E II on the 80-200/2.8 AF-S is minor and the added magnification of the converter makes it definitely worthwhile to add. Bare in mind that most of my testing is concentrated on the centre of the lens since this is where most of the important part of my sports photography subjects are. </p>

<p>I am very excited to see what the TC-14E II will do on my Nikon 400/2.8 AIS. I think I have to remove a little tab on the 14E to do so. I will also test it on my 200/2 AI which unfortunately I must sell. The 200/2 was poor at best with the TC-14B which has been well documented by Bjorn Rorslett.</p>

<p>The next kid's soccer game will tell me how the TC-14E II affects focus speed, but so far lowlight indoors is not a problem for it. It will also tell me if I get good enough range from an effective 112mm-280mm.</p>