80-200AF ED-IF 2.8D one touch

bob_hollifield

I bought the Nikon 80-200AF 2.8D lens on the great auction site. It

was advertised as an ED-IF. When I got it, there was no IF

designation showing, only ED. Please correct me if I am wrong, but

I thought it would say ED-IF on the lens. The lens seems to be in

very good shape, maybe 80% of orig finish and I got it for $380. I

don't think I have a complaint even if not IF...you folks agree?

Tks...bob

Hi Bob,

All of the 80-200 f/2.8 ED lenses whether one touch or 2-touch don't have the IF designation. They focus by moving the front groups of elements, but without extending the barrel length. So technically it is not an IF, but it doesn't extend or rotate the barrel like the IF. So many people incorrectly call them an IF lens.

So, don't worry about being shortchanged, all of us around the world using the AFD 80-200 also don't have an IF designation on the barrel.

Only the AF-S models have true IF.

Regards,

Aaron

Aaron is right. Unless you have the AF-S version, there is no such lens as a 80-200mm/f2.8 AF-D ED-IF (non-AF-S), although that seems to be a common misunderstanding.

I used to have the even earlier non-D version of this lens. Optically it is the same as your D version as well as the "tripod collar" version currently in production, but the front part of the older version rotates and extends in/out while it focuses, thus it is not an IF lens. Your D version has a fixed front to cover up the rotating front elements such that any polarizer attached won't rotate along with focusing.

Shun and Aaron, thanks for your answers. That makes me feel better. I was a little surprised by the person advertising it as IF because he makes his living shooting pics. I'm happy I bought it though...going to shoot a bluegrass festival this weekend with it. Tks again...bob

If your 80-200mm/f2.8 AF one-touch has a rotating and extending front, it is the very first generation just like the one I used to have (see my comments above). It was introduced around 1988, several years before the AF-D era.

<A HREF="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000nBZ&topic_id=23&topic=photo%2enet">

This old photo.net discussion</A> has the details about all versions.