7d vs T3i?

john_gleeson2

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I currently have a 400d / xti and want to upgrade to something with more megapixels so that I can produce larger prints, also my 400d has started to loudly groan when the shutter is open.</p>

<p>I am considering the 7D and T3i, to me, the specs on both look somewhat similar in terms or megapixels, video etc.. the 7D's body is constructed out of magnesium to I guess is a little tougher, can take more shots per second & it has more auto focusing points than the T3i...however I'm more interested in the quality of images that each camera produces rather than these features, I mostly shoot landscapes (5D is to much $ for me right now), so tonal & dynamic range are more important considerations for me - not sure if there is any difference here or how to find this out?</p>

<p>Are there any other major differences between the 7D and T3i that I should be thinking about?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>If you are used to the ergonomics and controls of the XTi then I don't see much of a problem upgrading to the T3i instead of the 7D.</p>

<p>However, if you are considering the 7D, then you could consider a refurbished 5D II directly from Canon for $1999 USD. The 5D II is markedly better for landscapes and there are better wide angle lenses available for it.</p>

<p>As John Crowe said, if you are used to the controls on your present camera, the "Rebel" will not disappoint you.<br /> However, it is not just a matter of different body materials, but the 7D is a whole new ball game in APS-C. It is a considerably more rugged machine in nearly every sense.</p>

<p>In addition, it has the more "advanced" control system of Canon's higher end cameras (both 35mm-sensor and APS-C) and many of us would pay considerably more for that alone.<br /> My daughter has checked out the 60D and she suggests that it seemed to her to be somewhat "down-graded" in construction in relation to the earlier xxD models and certainly by comparison with the 7D. The 60D does have a nice fold-out lcd screen, if you're doing a lot with live-view and macro.<br>

If it is possible for you, keep the XTi - it's still a good backup and second body.</p>

<p>7D is weather proofed, not as well as a 1 series, but far better than nothing. They both use the Digic IV processors, I believe they share the same sensor.</p>

<p> T3I has a flip out Video screen-as does the 60D (comes in handy for low level shots and macro work too). I'm pretty sure the T3I and 60D are the same features built on a different chassis-T3I being smaller and having the Rebel control layouts. (please correct if wrong).</p>

<p>60D - hmm, I never considered that but looking at the specs, it looks great, same low light / high ISO performance as the 7D as well which is a real bonus & the price is right.</p>

<p>I tend to keep my camera out of wet weather & try not to knock it around to much so not sure I'd need the more robust build of the 7D.</p>

<p>I could keep the XTI but probably not much point if I had the 60D - same crop and all.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I guess I would pay a *little* extra to have a more "professional" looking camera - I shoot some products for a few local companies in a lightbox & having more advanced looking equipment does make a difference to some people in how they view you when you walk in the door.</p>

<p>John, I have both the 60D and 7D, 60D is a fine camera as long as you don't need: <br>

to track moderately fast subjects in motion (25MPH car is about the breaking point, head on)<br>

Micro adjust your lenses-I forgot to mention this 7D feature earlier- almost every lens can use a little fine tuning here or there, some prefer to have the glass and body calibrated by Canon, some of us tweak it on camera. (It's my belief that Canon incorporated this feature because tolerances are much tighter on the higher resolution sensors and lenses and therefore less forgiving.) Another advantage to the micro adjust is that it allows the photographer to dial in a little front focus- this helps to increase the keeper rate on fast moving objects that are heading toward the camera in that it eliminates tracking lag. <br>

With a battery grip, the 60D will look every bit as professional as a 7D, and both use the LPE-6 battery which has an amazing charge life. I don't think the T3/T2 use this battery. Another factor with the 60D is that it uses SD cards, not the CF of the 7D- my only grip about having both bodies is the need for duplicate memory inventories.</p>

<p>Right now due to economy/earthquake etc. the bodies seem to be in short supply. You can get them with a lens package, however. I am not a fan of the kit lenses, I've only purchased "body only" in the 30+ years I've been shooting, but in this current situation you may have to buy with kit lens if you want something now. I looked at B&H and Canoga camera, and they have 60ds with multiple packages, you could always sell the lens.</p>

<p>Plus on the Canon refurb site, the tax for a 2,000 refurb 5d-2 is around $200 (WA state), so that and shipping is a ding for me.</p>

Just responding to the sensor point. I believe there are some differences between the 550D, 60D and 7D sensors but I

suspect they have little impact on image quality. I understand that while the 60D and 7D share the same sensor and

low pass filter the 550D uses a different low pass filter. Further more I understand that the 7D has 8 channel output (

to enable it's high fps) whereas the 550D and 60D have four channel outputs. So my understanding is that the three

sensors are actually slightly different. That said I am sure that you could not tell the difference between prints taken

with the three cameras.

Sorry this should have no impact on the OPs decision - I am just being pedantic.

<p>There are many differences between the 3 cameras but to me the main difference is the 7Ds auto focus and microadjust. Next comes the better viewfinder.<br>

I went from an XTi to the 7D and I have found that all my lenses rquired some degree of MA. The difference is that before MA pixel peeping to 50% the shots looked good. at 100 they were blurred. After MA adjustment they still look good at 100%. Now 50% is probably all you will need for viewing at 10x8 and on the monitor. But go larger and that ability to tune your lens and camera is a big reason to get the 7D.</p>