7D recording sound in Movie mode

awahlster

<p>I've read what little Canon has in the brochures and such and I was wondering if anyone has managed to figure out the sound side of the Movie Mode as yet.</p>

<p>Now I realize Canon is a Camera company and as such not that into sound but in the brochure it mentions that by plugging in a Microphone to the 3.5mm Mic jack you can record wonderful stereo sound.</p>

<p>hmmmmm Stereo requires 2 Mic's so a question.</p>

<p>Is this some sort of Stereo Jack like head phones would use and it needs to be then split to to Mic's or does the added on Mic only add the second channel to the camera built in Mic?</p>

<p>Which if the later is the case to get good stereo sound the two Mic would have to be of similar spec's and it would end up off set to one side or the other of the actual image since you can very well separate the built in Mic from the camera body.</p>

<p>It's just the way the brochure is written it's either very incomplete or a piss poor version of Stereo.</p>

<p>I mean come on my 3 year old Canon S3-IS has two Mic's on it and while they aren't very far apart I have recorded a car driving passed and played it back through my stereo and sure enough sounds just like a car driving past.</p>

<p>With grand daughters at 2 and 3 one of the justifications for a new Digital SLR would be the ability to create some very nice Videos of their future. I mean I have to have some sort of blackmail material at their wedding receptions!</p>

<p>It's a stereo jack. I use the Rode SVM on the 5D2 and the sound has been surprisingly good. My main beef is that levels have been set automatically--I prefer manual control for recording musical recitals--but the results have exceeded expectations. Now that the 5D2 ROM update gives you manual control of recording levels, that problem goes away, but I have yet to try it with real music. I don't believe that a comparable manual control is provided in the 7D, but maybe they will release an update like that for the 5D2. For informal family video, auto levels are fine, however.</p>

<p>Thanks Ken that was exactly what I needed. While a bit spendy I did not even know a product like the Rode existed (although I see they are avialable from a place I have catalogs from all over the house LOL)<br>

Least now I know True Stereo can be recorded.</p>