7D & older CF cards

paul_russell1

<p>Hi All.<br>

Close to buying a 7D, which is going to leave me short of cash for an extra battery and more memory for now, I plan to buy a 16GB UDMA card soon but in the meantime, is anybody using Sandisk CF Extreme III's in their 7D?<br>

What are the effects (if any) on burst rate and video? <br>

Please only answer if you use extreme IIIs in your 7D, interested in real life experience only: I know I need to spend money on memory eventually, so no need to point that out, for now will they do?<br>

Hobby use and won't be using the high speed all that often, but will be doing some video tests and shooting stills at Max RAW.<br>

Cheers</p>

<p>I use the SanDisk Ultra II 8GB (30MB/S or 200X) and it works perfectly for video and bursts of RAW with my 7D, so the Extreme series should be even better (60MB/S I think).</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I haven't done extensive testing of video, as I don't expect to use it very much. My 7D will record full HD to an 80x card, but not to a 50x card. Current Extreme III cards are 200x according to Sandisk's site.</p>

<p>Bob, at least in the current Canon DSLR world, low-end models use SD; advanced amateur and semi-pro cameras use CF; pro cameras have slots for both.</p>

<p>I have used a 128MB CF card in my 5D MkI and it works fine even though it can only hold about 10 RAW files. All CF cards are built to the CF standard which specifies how the card communicates with the device. If it says CF on the card it will work regardless of the capacity of the card. If however you put a 8GB SDHC card in an old camera made for SD cards, it wouldn't work. SD cards were limited to about 2GB. To get past that limit the SD standard was changed to SDHC but the cards still look the same. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>CF cards in the 7D? I assumed all newer cameras used SD cards.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>All recent point 'n shoots use SDHC. Canon's current EOS 40D, 50D, 7D, 5D MKII, and 1D series all use CF cards. The Rebels switched to SDHC 2 generations back and recent 1D series are duo slot SDHC and CF. </p>

<p>I don't care much for SDHC: too small for handling in the field (or while drinking beer) and the contacts are exposed to my sweaty mitts. The CF cards seem a lot stronger, no exposed contacts and are a lot easier to put in and out of a camera, especially in cold weather.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter