7D Mark II this time next year?

aesco48

<p>My 50D just bit the dust... I was waiting for the 5DMarkIII to upgrade but at that price and no video AF I cant justify the price....</p>

<p>You guys think that in a year the 7D Mark II will be out?<br>

What should I replace the 50D with? </p>

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Short answer, nobody knows. There will of course always be new cameras, but nobody knows anything about the specs, timing, or pricing until Canon makes an official announcement. </p>

<p>Unless you want to sit around waiting for a year camera-less, you have to buy whatever is available. In your case, there are a number of great cameras available,either the 7D (which is a step-up from the 50D in terms of speed, handling, and gives you an advantage in high-ISO situations) or the 5Dii which will slower in terms of AF and frame-rate, but delivers exceptional image quality. </p>

<p>Interesting perspective. I would almost expect the 7D to be basically cropped version of the 5DIII, except with a pop-up flash. In other words, I would expect a new 7D to have the new 5DIII Af system. </p>

<p>Aside from the sensor, the one thing the 5DIII has that the 7D does not is the new primo AF system. So. . . the question to ask. . . . would the potential upgrade to the AF system be worth it?</p>

<p>Otherwise. . . what are you doing for a camera in the mean time?</p>

<p>lol... Is there an EOS adapter for the G1X?<br>

I dont need a camera, does not put bread on the table... But yea, ill end up buying a refurbished 50D or a 7D and hope the 7D MarkII has the Video AF... Getting video of an F1 car coming in for a pit stop is not easy with manual focus... <br>

I live in Egypt so its not easy for me to get a new or used camera here....</p>

<p>It still makes me laugh how the OP never mentions a 7D but some idiot allways has to bring it up and slag it off. The 7D is a lot more complex and needs time to get to know it. Maybe these people who slag off the 7D need to get a point and shoot and use it on Auto, because the 7D is obviously too complicated for them.</p>

<p>I photographed my first live gig last month and shooting at ISO 1600 I was amazed how clear the images were. Sure there weren't many keepers with the low light but none the less I was very happy with the ISO performance.</p>

<p>You could condor buying a cheaper consumer body (e.g. 60D) and waiting. On the 7D I am not convinced this was a flop. In 2010 it captured almost twice the market share of DSLRs that the 5DII did and outsold the Nikon D300 by almost 3x. I have a 7D among other bodies and it is a good camera - it is almost identical to my 5DII in size and construction and while the APS-C sensor does not have the same IQ as the 5DII the 7D has much better AF and fps.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I was waiting for the 5DMarkIII to upgrade but at that price and <strong>no video AF</strong> I cant justify the price....<br>

<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think if you are expecting a 7DII (or even the new 5DIII or 1DX) to have video AF - you may be waiting a long, long time. I haven't seen anything yet that indicates that the Canon DSLR's have done anything to address fast camcorder-like autofocus in video mode. I hope someone can prove me wrong as nice fast camcorder-like autofocus would be very nice to have in many situation. To take it a step further, I'm not sure if any DSLR maker has achieved camcorder-like autofocus integration yet.</p>

<p>If your 50D just bit the dust and you want to wait for a camera that hasn't been anounced yet, then you'll be taking zero photos for an indefinite amount of time. I'd get something that is capable of making photos NOW, not in 2-3 years. Get another used 50D if you liked it. They can be had for around $500-600. </p>

<p>Brad: I wrote what is below and then realized that for the AF system to work the mirror has to be down... and thus it cant take video and auto focus at the same time... Is that correct? This would also imply that while recording video the view finder is disabled, correct?<br>

Its been a long work day in Egypt so I may not be thinking straight...</p>

<p>[How fast is fast? Cant the camera already do continuous auto focus of an object moving towards or away from the camera?]</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 7D was basically a flop, I think alot of people are going to opt out for a 5D II or a 5D III if the price ever comes down.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /><br>

I would love for Harry to defend his words here -- won't hold my breath though.<br>

Otherwise, that goes down as one of the silliest sentences I've ever read on this forum.<br>

<br /><br>

As for the OP -- get a camera now -- anyone -- 50D, 60D, 7D, even a G11 for $400. The 7D is 2.5 years old now so for sure it'll be upgraded sometime next year.</p>

<p>First of all am i wrong in believing my 5D2 does do video autofocus? What is it doing when i tunr on the face recognition when lens is in automode. Whenever it sees a face the square automatically recognizes and focuses on the face during recording. Is that not "autofocus"? <br>

In any case because I know how to manual focus very well by setting a large dof I.E. F16 and prefocusing to the area I know fast motion will occur. I can magically capture a fast moving scene with the 5D2 manual focus with no problems. I plan on selling my 30D and getting a 7D to compliment 5D2. I have no plans of getting a 5D3 or 24-70 F2.8II the costs of these items would make me go get a Nikon instead.</p>

If you have EF-s lenses then then it is better to stick with ASP-C cams 7 D is having a lot of options that most of

people they pay for it and end up not using it.

My friend has 350D and he is still doing great with it just don't be cam or brand oriented as they are endlessly

changing

Get your self any cam that's affordable and continue shooting.

<p>Harry- A "flop" in what way? It may have a steeper learning curve than others on the market and certainly has it's quirks-but it fills a niche like no other in it's price range and many an owner rely on it, myself included.</p>

<p>To the OP-whichever camera you replace your 50D with will take as good a picture today as it will 2-3 years from now (in terms of IQ)-why would you go without, waiting for an upgrade that, due to inflation/currency valuation will likely cost more (on the surface) than it's predecessor?</p>

<p>Lets be clear, the original question was if in the opinion of the members of the board the 7D II would be coming out in a year and indirectly if they though it would have the features mentioned (that the 5DIII did not have). I have always had planned to replace the camera in one way or another... Based on the information/opinions I would decide if it makes sense for me to buy a new 7D, used 7D or a used 50D and then buy a 7DII in a year...<br>

Even if i wanted to I could not easily and reliably go out and buy a replacement camera here in Egypt... I have to wait from some one to come from the States or the EU... And in the mean time i figured I would get the opinion of you guys... Much appreciated!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Brad: I wrote what is below and then realized that for the AF system to work the mirror has to be down... and thus it cant take video and auto focus at the same time... Is that correct? This would also imply that while recording video the view finder is disabled, correct?<br />Its been a long work day in Egypt so I may not be thinking straight...<br>

[How fast is fast? Cant the camera already do continuous auto focus of an object moving towards or away from the camera?]</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You right, the nice optical viewfinder is of no use during video mode. DSLR video (at least for Canon) auto-focusing for objects moving towards or away from the camera is unacceptable - you will not be happy. </p>

<p>The same goes for auto-exposure, you will see it ratchet through ISO or aperture steps in much too discrete steps.</p>

<p>For something like fast car racing, any fast panning left or right will result in vertical objects (poles, posts, buildings) being very slanted. </p>

<p>Shutter speeds will typically be between 1/50th ... 1/120th. That means a lot of light coming in during bright daylight - even at ISO 100 - which means small f-stops (be aware of diffraction) or the need for ND filters (expensive for UWA).</p>

<p>Video with DSLR means needing to see the LCD screen which is a PITA in bright sunlight thus people often buy add-on loupe/shades or external viewfinders.</p>

<p>To get the focus you want you would need to add a "follow focus" to your camera and manually focus! However, once you've mastered it even cheap used T2i would give you cinema-like footage. But you would need to haul around more gear and have time to setup the shots, etc.</p>

<p>You can use the technique M.P suggested of going with larger f-stops (f/8, etc) and use wide angle lenses to get generous depth of field.</p>

<p>Eventually a GoPROHD looks appealing eh!</p>

<p>I just saw your latest response.</p>

<p>If I were in your shoes and needed to replace a 50D and want video as well, I would try and find the best deal on a used 7D right now. The 7D has better video controls than the 5D2 and seemingly not much behind the 5D3. You already have lenses that fit crop sensors and IMHO, it's easier to find quality vs $$$ wide angle lenses for crop sensors than FF. The other option is a new (or better yet used) 60D. If you plan to do a lot of video the articulating LCD screen will be a big plus and the 60D has worked out a few audio kinks that troubled the T2i, 5D2 and 7D.</p>

<p>My guess - and this is only a hunch - is that a follow up to the 7D will be out in the coming months. As others have said though, it will probably be spendy and thus the 7D will probably hold it's value. I could see the rumored 24MP in the 7Dii and T4i being played out by Canon. As long as the noise is kept under control they would be nice cameras but more MP's than really needed for anything but large prints and cropping - all of which are photo but not video perks. I'm sure they'll address the jello, moire and other DSLR video problems but they may not go far enough in those models to justify waiting for them. However, they might add high frame rates and even more compression which would be great for slow motion and overall video sharpness.</p>

<p> </p>