7D eyecup loose

obi-wan-yj

<p>My new (factory refurb) Canon 7D just showed up yesterday. The first thing I noticed out of the packaging was that the rubber eyecup that surrounds the viewfinder rattles around loose. I don't think it's in danger of falling off, but the rattle is annoying. The eyecup on my brother's 7D is so solid that he didn't even know it was removable.</p>

<p>I've contacted the retailer, and they want me to ship the entire kit back to them for repair/replacement of the eyecup. I'm not really in desperate need of the new body right now, but it's hard to part with a new toy once you've held it in your hands. I'm wondering if it's really worth returning it. Has anybody else experienced this loose eyecup? Did it ever get worse & start coming off too easily? Would I be wise to get it replaced right away under warranty, or should I just forget about it?</p>

<p>The eyecup on my 400D fell off in a field years ago, and I've just gone without ever since. I don't wear glasses, so it hasn't been a big deal.</p>

<p>The retailer's reaction is ridiculous. There is very little chance that the quite sturdy metal frame forming part of the body, onto which the eyecup slides, is worn, and it is almost certainly the plastic eyecup that needs replacing. <em>Repair</em> an eyecup? Must be joking. The retailer should simply send you one. If you don't get any satisfaction, just write it off to experience and buy one.</p>

<p>When I first got my 5D, the eyecup was very tight. But after I started using an angle finder pretty often, it loosened up quickly and is now too loose. I often leave it off; the only real downside for me is that the diopter adjustment is often accidentally changed if the eyecup isn't there.</p>

<p>I'm with Robin - ask them to send you a new one.</p>

<p>The clips and everything appear to be in perfect working order, with no noticeable wear on either the body or the clips (they still have nice, sharp points). The image counter was at 1400 when I got it, so the body hasn't seen much use. Even with an angle finder, I doubt it would be this worn this quickly.</p>

<p>Robin, I agree with your reaction. I already asked them if they would just replace the eyecup, and they refused. Thanks, Adorama. I'm tempted to call them a second time in hopes that I'll get a different service rep that's more reasonable.</p>

<p>Is this even worth dealing with? If they won't just send me a new eyecup, is it even worth buying a new one? Will the eyecup eventually get loose enough that it'll fall off? I would think you'd have to break one of the clips completely off before that would happen. Will replacement eyecups be any tighter?</p>

<p>Ah, much better. My first contact with Adorama support was via email. I just now phoned them and spoke to a friendly rep whose name I didn't catch. When I described the problem, she immediately said they'd just send me out a new eyecup right away without me even having to ask for it. It should arrive next Friday.</p>

<p>I hope this one fits better. If not, I'll probably just shim up around the viewfinder with packing tape or something to make the clips fit more snugly. I don't plan on taking it off very often.</p>

• 2 weeks later...