7D Error 30 failure and lost photos

pjmeade

<p>Hello,<br>

I was shooting a polo tournament today and my 7D started producing error 30 messages and going dead. At the same time the top lcd showed a dead battery warning and all the RAW files on the 16 G card used before this seem to be corrupted.<br>

Clearly the camera has to go back for repair, but has anyone else had this kind of problem or combination of problems?</p>

<p>I recently had the same problem, 3 weeks ago to be precise. During the shoot, I was able to manage by removing the battery and re-inserting it a couple of seconds later. It will still occur after doing that, but at least the camera will work properly for some extra time.</p>

<p>My setup was just the same as yours, a 7D with a 16GB 60MB/s SanDisk card. I took the camera in for check-up and they immediately told me that error 30 is related to shutter problems. Anyhow, they checked my camera and it was all well, according to them. They did clean it up, at least, and it hasn't happened again ever since. It has already been 2 weeks of intense shooting (video, in my case), and it hasn't happened again.</p>

<p>Odd thing, I say, but at least it's corrected.</p>

<p>P.S.: Yes, I was running the latest firmware.</p>

<p>Peter, I bought a refurb. body from Canon, and immediatedly rec'd error 20 messages, leading me to remove battery, reinstall. Things worked ok for a few days. Then error 30 message and the camera died. Just submitted it to Canon service, and they repaired it quickly, and I'm awaiting its return any day now. It appeared to have some relationship with the use of video and/or use of live view mode. Not that doing so caused it, but that I wouldn't have the error until after using video/live view functions. </p>

<p>I've just called the Canon Service Centre. They said the Error 30 message is a non-specific error message. I updated the firmware to 1.2.5 and the camera was shooting again.<br>

But they did say, that if the problem returns I ought to get it serviced.<br>

With regard to the problem of the corrupt disk; trying to "recover photos" with Rescue Pro lead to crashed, but "recover files" recovered the files as .TIFs. I ran them through Camera RAW and saved them as .dng files and other than taking up lots of time, I don't seem to have lost anything.<br>

After reformatting the card in the camera, that works again too.</p>

<p>For the moment</p>