7D built-in flash sufficient for second shooter?

emily_v.

<p>Unless the second shooter is planning on shooting with available light, I do not think that the built in flash is sufficient. I don't know Canon's system, but I believe the 430EX is the less expensive flash and that should be sufficient.</p>

<p>The bigger question is: If the second shooter currently doesn't have a flashgun, will they be able to learn proper use of one prior to the wedding?</p>

<p>When I seconded I was required to have a system that included an SLR with focal lengths ranging from 18mm - 70mm (DX) and a flashgun that I was competent with. My primary's rules were that I didn't have to use everything I brought, but if I needed it, it would be available.<br /><br /></p>

<p>Perhaps this "second shooter" would be better served as an assistant.</p>

<p>Just a thought</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Do you think just using the Canon 7D built-in flash would be acceptable for a second shooter to photograph a wedding with?</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Categorically, emphatically, definitely - No.</p>

<p>Actually, IMO the “BIGGER question” is: It is implied that the OP does not have a <em><strong>Second</strong></em> Flash Unit to loan to the Second Shooter.<br>

If this is correct, then I ask what is the OP's Plan B, should the lone 580 EX go U/S during the Processional?</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Simple answer ... no. See advice above.</p>

<p>However, it depends on the lighting challenges being faced and how close the subject is. For close work, the pop up flash will provide fill, but that's probably the limit. I've used a pop-up from time to time when I was primarily shooting "walk around" available light and someone asked me to do a quick shot of them and their companion.</p>

<p>Believe it or not ... my commercial level medium format Hasselblad H4D/40 has a pop-up flash, and I've used it at a wedding : -) </p>

<p>Thanks everyone. <br>

I was relying on my one flash in the past, which was the one piece of equipment I did not have a back up for. I picked up another 580EX tonight since you are right, I should have at least 2 (would love to have more but will get there at some point), and will loan it to my second shooter. </p>

<p>Thank you Emily. You've re-affirmed to me why these forums are so important.</p>

<p> I'm glad to hear that you purchased the speedlight for yourself, (as a backup), and are loaning it to your second. I would suggest a a few lessons to your second on proper use of an on-camera flash prior to the wedding.</p>

<p> . . . any particular Photographer <em><strong>never using a flash of any kind </strong></em>has little or no relevance to answering the question: "Do you think <em><strong>just using the Canon 7D built-in flash </strong></em>would be acceptable for a second shooter to photograph a wedding with?"</p>

<p>One statement is about <strong><em>going sans Flash</em></strong> - - -<br>

the other is asking an opinion of the value <strong><em>of using</em></strong> of a particular Flash Unit.</p>

<p>What's your point, Bill?</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>No, neither defensive nor attack at all - I don't understand your point.<br>

Jeff chooses not to use Flash - i.e. not to use <strong><em>any FLASH unit at all</em></strong>.<br>

This question is asking "is this particular flash unit (the Pop up Flash) a suitable flash unit to use at a wedding - or (implied) is another flash unit better suited for the job?" </p>

<p>I simply don't see the point which you are making by introducing the fact that a (any) particular photographer chooses not to use Flash.<br>

I don't use flash that much; I don't like using flash - but similarly that doesn't answer if the PuF is a useful tool or not - and that is what the question is about.</p>

<p>So, can you please explain what you mean by your comment? </p>

<p>Assuming that I am aggressive and you playing some psychoanalyst game, IMO is silly and not constructive. . .</p>

<p>I was simply asking for an explanation of your comment, so either please explain what you meant and answer the question I asked in a civil and polite manner or choose not to answer at all, I don't mind.</p>

<p>But don't assume my position and don’t proceed to lecture me on some fanciful "attack and defence" manoeuvre, which is only in your mind's eye and neither what I wrote - nor meant.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would think that anyone (who knows what they are doing) chooses not to use flash for a wedding/reception, would need some fast glass and a camera capable of very high ISO with low noise. The 7D is pretty good, but I'm not sure it qualifies. Of course there are some venues with plenty of good light, so you can do it sometimes. But to use the pop up flash as compensation for slow glass and/or less than great high ISO capabilities is just a bad idea.</p>