7D and CF card reader question

david_dinisco

<p>

<p >I have an SanDisk Extreme CF card and a Canon 7D camera. I am off loading my photos to my computer via a Zeikos 57 in 1 memory card reader. Reading the images works great. However when I put the card back into the camera it is not recognized and say I must reformat the card. Reformatting works fine. But my question is what is happening here? Should I get a different card reader?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks</p>

</p>

<p>I've never had that problem with my card reader...how are you downloading the files? Does your software remove the files and folders from the card, or just copy them?</p>

<p>Of course, if you don't mind formatting the card every time, there's no reason to change anything.</p>

<p>I am using a Mac with Snow Leopard, and just doing a Finder copy. And I do eject the card when done. I am not deleting the files from the card...I like to keep them there as a backup if I am on the road. But I can't since I can't shoot any more photos without reformatting.</p>

<p>I'm a Mac user as well with a similar setup (Lexar FW400 reader, 7d). I've NEVER had that happen. Next time it does, prior to reformatting in your Canon body, re-insert in the CF reader, go to Finder, and select "Get info" for the CF card. See if for whatever reason Max OS reformatted after copying in its native OS (which is not FAT based and would not be recognized by your 7d). If that is the case, then figure out what piece of software thinks its a good idea to do this. I can't imagine it is the CF reader's fault, but it is weird, regardless...<br>

rt</p>

<p>The card reader just by reading contents could alter something on the card, e.g. installs there a file that lists files progress that were already transferred. This is useful if there is a need to complete transfer after unexpected interaction. Some older Canon cameras allow that and work with it OK.</p>

<p>However, some cameras do not folerate "foreign" origin files, and instantly complain sbout it. I encountered this few times, with the many cameras I used. If your files were not transfered yet, use a recovery software like Rescue PRO or similar, and recover all files before reformating the card.</p>

<p>This is quite common behavior of many card readers drivers and supported software. Some cameras are smart to ignore extra contents.</p>

<p>This is just a guess, and may not be true...<br>

I do not think the format changes. However, upon insertion of a card into a camera, the camera performs some "sanity" chacks on the card, and possibly finds extra files that were placed there by the reader and not properly accounted for in the directory list. Or the file cyclick redundancy check for the extra file is missing or not matching, or the file format is totally unknown and not unacceptable by the camera check, or ?</p>

<p>Once you know the behavior, try to avoid it. E.g. use USB cable, or a better card reader?</p>

<p>No David, FAT32 is exactly what the Canon expects to see... Whatever is being changed, it isn't the format.<br>

What is the exact message the 7d gives you? When you reinsert in the CF reader, do you see the same files and folder as you did when you inserted it prior?</p>

<p>Sounds similar to an issue with my PC and card reader - constantly requiring a format after downloading files....just be a little careful - the last time I did this, inserted the card in the card reader, it wanted to format the card even though I had many photographs on there. I rescued the files, junked the CF card, and bought a new one....no more problems.</p>

<p>I transfer pictures from two different card readers to my Mac running 10.6.3. Cards are SanDisk extremes III and IV filled with Nikon NEF files. The only time I had a similar problem..my card reader was corrupting the CF cards. Had to rescue them, which took a long time. And a few times I could reformat the cards and then I was no longer able to even do that. <br>

1. Where you able to do this before and now this is a change in behavior?<br>

2. Try a couple of other CF cards and see if the same thing happens.<br>

3. After you put it in the camera and it asks to reformat, take it out and put it back into the mac. Are the pictures still there and are they ok?<br>

My card reader MFG, Belkin, replaced it for free.</p>

<p>I transfer pictures from two different card readers to my Mac running 10.6.3. Cards are SanDisk extremes III and IV filled with Nikon NEF files. The only time I had a similar problem..my card reader was corrupting the CF cards. Had to rescue them, which took a long time. And a few times I could reformat the cards and then I was no longer able to even do that. <br>

3. After you put it in the camera and it asks to reformat, take it out and put it back into the mac. Are the pictures still there and are they ok?<br>

<p>I have resolved the issue simply by changing the card reader. The last time I used the 'bad' reader, the 7D could not even format the card. Took it to a camera store and they formatted it in a Nikon ok, then the 7D could reformat. Old card reader (Zeikos 57 in 1) is now in the trash and has been successfully replaced by a ProMaster. Hopefully it continues to work without issue. Thanks for all of the responses.</p>