I've been looking at picking up a cheap rangefinder, and I'm thinking about

getting an Olympus 35 RC as they are very cheap, easily available and

frequently recommended. However, should I wait a bit longer to get something

like the Olympus 35 RD, Yashica 35 GX or Canon GIII QL 17 (although funds are

tight so the Canon might not be an option), as these have faster lenses than

the f/2.8 of the RC?

Thanks,

Dave.

I have numerous 70s (and earlier) rangefinders and the Yashica Electro 35 GX is the Roll-Royce of these fixed-lens cameras. Full parallax-compensation, aperture-priority mode, fast f/1.7 40mm lens and very accurate AE are the highlights of this camera. It is not cheap, but it is worth it.

<br>Another good one is the Yashica Electro 35 CC with its famous 35mm f/1.8 lens, but it lacks parallax compensation and automatically switches to 1/30 second shutter speed when a flash is attached. A tiny and inexpensive rangefinder with accurate aperture-priority is the Voigtländer VF101 with the Color-Skopar 40mm f/2.8, which is pretty common in Germany/Europe.

<blockquote><i>

Dave Abrey , sep 14, 2006; 10:33 a.m.

I've been looking at picking up a cheap rangefinder, and I'm thinking about getting an Olympus 35 RC as they are very cheap, easily available and frequently recommended.

</i></blockquote>

<p>Excellent choice. Biggest drawbacks are f/2.8 and lack of slow shutter speeds - but these are frequently not issues for those who would use this camera. Just thought I'd mention it.</p>

<blockquote><i>

However, should I wait a bit longer to get something like the Olympus 35 RD, Yashica 35 GX or Canon GIII QL 17 (although funds are tight so the Canon might not be an option), as these have faster lenses than the f/2.8 of the RC?</i></blockquote>

<p>Depends on several factors, not least of which is your risk avoidance factor. None of these are known to all be great when purchased on eBay - it is not unusual to end up buying several before getting one that works right (this where I usually get a response from some guy who has never purchased a clunker, everything is always perfect, etc) The RD is excellent - lens slightly better than the RC, a very nice camera - but known to have shutter issues. I had to buy mine and then pay again to have the shutter rebuilt - way beyond my 'stuck shutter, use q-tips and lighter fluid' fixes. You have to be prepared for things like that if you are on a budget. In my opinion, the RC is less prone to it.</p><p>The Yashica has no shutter speed control - you set the aperture, it sets the speed. If the meter no worky, the camera no worky.</p><p>The Canonet is well-regarded, sometimes has issues with light seals, less frequently with the winder winding forever without stopping at the appropriate place between frames.</p>

<p>Some of the other cameras mentioned here are also excellent or capable of being so. The Konica Auto S2 is known to have an excellent lens. I hear they are also reliable - perhaps true, but I have four of them that do not work - all 'mint' on eBay. I never got a working model and finally gave up. The Minolta 9 is top-notch, one of my favorites - but it is much larger than the RC - they are really for different purposes.</p>

<p>Frankly, I don't think you could do much damage by getting an RC. Low price generally, and the ones I've purchased have all worked - could be luck on my part. Nice images. I took a Yashica Lynx 14 and a Olympus RC to NYC with me and wandered around for a couple of days this last spring taking street shots. Great sharp photos, it was a lot of fun.</p>

I think the Yashica Electros are wonderful. They do have a problem with what is known as the "pad of death" which affects the shutter. If you get one and if it has problems, I have the e-mail of a man who repairs these very economically. He worked on my Electro GT and it works like new. Contact me. You should also contact the Yashica Guy to get a battery adapter for $15.

David M, I have to agree with you on the Sears. Nice little camera. One disadvantage over the RC is that it does not offer any AE features, as I recall. Also, and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about here - big huge expanse of black foam in the back, which has normally transmogrified into sticky black road tar.

I mean, this camera uses more foam seal material than any six rangefinders I ever saw. I believe it is the same as the Ricoh G 500, is that right? I can't recall, never owned the Ricoh 500 G (but I have two of the Sears RF's like yours).

However, once the refoaming is done, this is indeed a camera to be proud of. Nice lens, nice camera, and of course NOBODY wants to steal a Sears camera - you could leave it out and come back the next day and it would be there. Great for when you really *don't* want people think you're a 'pro'.

Thanks for reminding me - I may shoot with mine this weekend.

I was very fond of a Ricoh too, think it was a 500C; boxy Auto / manual with a good f2.8 40mm lens. I got mine with a spring wind drive to fit the base, good for 10 shots. They are difficult to repair, but cost nothing in good condition. These cameras are all easy to hand-hold at slow speeds. I don't know if I would trust rangefinder accuracy with some of the f2 lenses.