I don't often use telephotos, but I'm considering a used 70-210 f/4

(constant aperture), about which I have heard good things; some even

say it's "legendary." It was discontinued in 1988. I'm getting it at

a very attractive price point on a certain online auction site b/c it

has some slight cleaning marks on the front element. I would

appreciate any comments on this lens from users of this "legend."

Thanks, SU.

Shane,

I own the AF70-210mm f4 and it is a sharp lens. The constant aperture is nice and f4 at the long end is reasonably fast. It is about the same size and is the same weight as the AF180/2.8, more manageable than an 80-200/2.8 (I used to own the 2 ring 80-200/2.8 w/tripod collar). The zoom action feels good, and the minimum focusing distance is great. Drawbacks are the focusing ring sucks and the autofocus is slow.

Unless you need fast autofocus I think the 70-210/4 is a great alternative to 80-200/2.8 zooms. I happen to be selling my 70-210/4 because I bought an 85/1.8 and a 180/2.8 this year and need to trim the fat some.

You can also find links to two reviews of this lens at www.nikonlinks.com

I've used this lens for several years and have been very happy with it. Its a very sharp lens and I've taken some great pictures with it. In my view, the constant f/4 aperture is a big plus and the lens is a bargain at today's prices because of this. I agree that the focusing ring "sucks" but since it's an AF lens, it has never bothered me. Also, the AF is slow, but not unreasonably slow to detract from purchasing it, unless you're shooting high speed action. If you're happy with the price, then go for it! You won't be disappointed. I don't use this lens much anymore, because I primarily use the 80-400 VR lens now.

I have considered the MF 75-150 Series E, but have mixed feelings. I've been told it's optically excellent, but it's a bit difficult to find. I'm also not too happy with the compromises that would have to be made to use it on an AF Nikon, viz., shoot only in aperture priority mode with centerweighted metering. While I was fiddling with those settings, the picture would "get away." But at the right price, I might consider it, since I use a telephoto very little and don't want to invest vast $$ in one.

#1 Beware of faulty lenses,I tried three before finding a good example.

#2 On anything less than a F/N90X the focus speed will be slow(forget a F/N80.

#3 On a F100 the focus speed is acceptable for most uses.

#4 The lens flares easily but has little ghosts.

#5 The lens is sharp & good enough to use wide open.

<em>"While I was fiddling with those settings, the

picture would "get away." But at the right price, I

might consider it, since I use a telephoto very little and don't

want to invest vast $$ in one." --Shane usary<br>

</em><br>

With cameras like the F100, F4s and F5 you just slap an AI, AIS,

Series-E (AIS), AF or AF-D lens on the camera and start shooting.

Matrix metering defaults to center weighted where required,

shutter preferred and program modes also default to aperture

preferred where required. The "S" or "P" will

blink on the external LCD(s) of cameras that have these when

manual focus lenses are installed. In the finder an "A"

is displayed and the change from matrix to center weighted

metering is indicated.<br>

<br>

I have virtually no problems switching on the fly between manual

focus lenses and auto focus lenses. The reflexes kick in and the

fingers perform their required tasks.<br>

<br>

The number of 75~150/3.5E lenses produced should make these easy

to find. There are three versions. An early black ring version

with a really cheap stamped maximum aperture lug and lens

protector. This was replaced quickly with a black ring version

with AIS quality parts at the bayonet. And finally with a chrome

ring version. The zoom on most all if not all of these is loose

which few find to be a problem except when shooting on a tripod.<br>

<br>

You get virtual prime lens quality in a small, light, 2x zoom and

the price is right.

Nikon is forcing users to purchase their 80-200 f2.8 ED if you want professional quality.

Perhaps as a cost-cut measure to minimize their cost. The weight of a 80-200 f2.8 ED makes manoeuvrability a pain - imagine the weight of a 1.35-1.55 kg long, big, fat zoom plus a modern AF body of weight 1-1.3 kg !! An alternative f4 version wii cut the weight by at least 40% and the filter size from 77mm to 62mm. I wish Nikon would produce a professional grade AFS 70-210/80-200 f4 ED IF which is below 900g with removable tripod collar. When will Nikon be addressing the needs of photographers (Canon EOS has one f4 version in L.) ?

I agree with Ken Rockwell (www.kenrockwell.com) that this is the best alternative if you do not want the hefty AFD/S 80-200 f2.8 ED.

I have been using the AF 70-210 f4 on my F4/F70D for some time. The balance with F70D is excellent.

The F70D is quite under-rated. Yes it has it flaws - no DOF preview, no LCD illumination and counter-intuitive, get-to-used-to LCD user-interface. But it is robust (the plastic shell is quite thick), silent and has the best single-point AF cross-sensor. Above all, I can use all my AI/AIS lenses in manual and aperture-priority auto mode - only the F4, F5, F100 and F90/X is capable of.

People say the AF 70-210 f4 is the AF version of the Series E 70-210 f4. Yes, the specs are similar.

But the AF version has much better build. The outside is of engineeing plastic (much thicker then the current ones found in AF-Nikkors) and many internal parts are metal - even the focussing scales.

The macro is executed on the 210 end (the Series E is executed on the less useful 70 end).

The lens multicoatings are different - the AF version has more intensely-coloured reflections.

The optical performance is excellent - you cannot tell the difference from the famous AIS 80-200 f4.

The contrast is very high, with excellent colour renditions - classical Nikon taste.

I have used this lens to take children protraits in dead-flat, dull, grey weather. Unlike many more modern zooms, the colours came out faithfully with life. No to speak of high resolution in detailed areas. Many more modern zooms will end up in dull life-less colours under those lighting conditions.

Drawbacks.

Yes. Slower focussing - in the earlier days of AF, the designers allowed longer helicord travel for more precise manual focussing. This is considered not trendy now. You want fast AF and you have to sacrifice the longer helicord travel. It is that simple.

Yes the focussing ring is awkward to use. Well, you want an AF lens and you are assume to use AF most of the time - for convenience and speed. With my F70, I don't have many situations that the AF system failed to focus and have to use MF too often. If you must use MF, then most likely focussing accuracy rather than its speed is important.

Yes the front element does rotate during focussing.

This lens has a very good balance and feel, apart from its high build quality - compare it with the latest consumer grade AFD Nikkor zoom and you know what I mean.

In terms of its optics, IMO, apart from the AFD/S 80-200 f2.0 ED (with 3 to 5 ED glass elements) it is the best non-ED Nikkor zoom in the 70/80 - 200/210/300 class.

Each lens has its characteristics and history. You have to weight and select what you need. For example, the AIS 55 f2.8 Micro-Nikkor is known to be extremely sharp and high contrast. But generally not many people will buy it for a full-length portrait lens because they like its sharpness & high contrast ! However, it may suit the bill if the weather & lighting is dead flat & grey.