70-200 VRI vs. 70-200 VRII Nano - Field of View Issue

mark_mui

<p>I was at my local camera store comparing the new nikon 70-200 VRII Nano with my old 70-200 VRI. I took 2 sets of images with both lenses at f2.8 200mm iso 400 with my D3 body. Me and the sales guy couldn't figure out why the VRII doesn't have as much reach as the old VRI. Can anyone explain why there's such a discrepancy between these two lens at the same zoom range?<br /><a href=" nikon 70-200 comparison Photo</a><br /><br />Mark</p>

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Did you shoot the objects that are far enough? When the modern lenses (zooms and IF primes) focus to the closer objects, their focal lengths are shortened. To what degree? That should depend on each lens. So, the actual focal lengths of 1st version and 2nd version may have been different when focused at something in the shop, which should cause the discrepancy of AOV.</p>

<p>Just stumbled on a thread on another site going over the same thing, they are both IF zooms so I never would have guessed such a large difference in FOV (at 15-20 feet it looked like 25%)<br>

I know it may sound silly to some of you but I shoot a ton of sports where I cant get closer, the difference between them 2 lenses is significant</p>

<p>The camera position was fixed, same object focused on, both lenses at 200mm, all settings equal. I went to the store with the intention of buying the new lens. After I saw these comparisons I went home with a greater appreciation of my VRI. (I will never cheat on her again)</p>

<p>Hi Mark ,I have compared these two lenses. <br>

<br /> In short : My copy of the new lens is not sharper than my old version. Vignetting on full frame cameras <br /> is significantly less pronounced (not entirely eliminated). VR on the new lens works amazingly well. <br /> The new lens is more flare resistant. At close focusing distance (1.27m) the new lens turns into a 130mm lens. <br /> This reduced magnification can still be observed at over 200 ft,however at infinity it is a 200 mm lens.At about 9feet shooting distance the new lens will give you a picture of 164 mm ,the old lens at the same distance gives you 198mm . Any portrait photographer should be aware of this.The new lens handles very well on a large camera body.<br>

I have posted several sample pics @<a href="http://www.pbase.com/deerhog/lens"> http://www.pbase.com/deerhog/lens</a></p>

<p>Although the older VR version is a 21 elements in 15 groups design and the newer VRII version is a 21 elements in 16 groups design, they are radically different optical layouts as one can see by looking at the cross-sections at Nikon Global. So it's probably not at all unexpected that at very close distances the internal focus characteristics would result in possibly significant differences in AOV.<br /> </p><div>00V9vh-197177684.jpg.7444984cca3a73f8e10d8fd060415e7c.jpg</div>

<p>What an incredibly illuminating thread. For what it's worth I see a sharper image with the new lens when shooting wide open. I have never been a pixel peeper, but have a 30" monitor. It is pretty easy to spot tack sharp images. I also would have "assumed" that when you set the dial to 200mm, the FL is 200mm. Great thread, thanks for the info.</p>

<p>Martin, I was curious about the two lenses; I have Ver 1, and have been aware of the round criticism of its corners for landscape work in particular. I can live with the flare problems. Would that reference you made be to a password protected gallery on your link?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Flame away, but for $2500, I feel that's a pretty significant FOV change (especially the shot of the cleaning tissue). I understand when my cheap 18-200 shrinks when focused closely, but this lens shouldn't be worse than the lens it's supposed to replace. Now I'm going to have to test my trusty non-AFS, non-VR, 80-200 AF-D to see how much FOV I lose when I close focus it . . .</p>

<p>It looks the price to pay to have IF (and a wider image circle) at the same time... the lens` user manual specify this issue several times. It could affect to, e.g., some wedding photogs but not so much to e.g., sports photogs (I guess).</p>

<p>The minimum focus distance is stated at 1.4 meters, at 200mm FL it should mean a tight head portrait. Looks like this lens cannot do that. Bad for some.</p>

<p>I`m now thinking,e.g., on small court`s games, like basketball juniors, where the whole "real" range is needed. The issue is, at what minimum focus distance this new lens act -at least- closer to a "true" 200mm focal lenght?</p>

<p>Out of curiosity, I `ve been checking the magnification charts provided for this lens vs. the AFS200.</p>

<p>Both lenses provide almost the same magnification at the expense of a closer focusing distance for the zoom (AFS200 is 1:8.1 at 1.9meters, the 70-200VRII is 1:8.6 at 1.4meters).</p>

<p>Also, the 70-200VR (1st v.) is specially good with respect to this issue (1:5.6 at 1.4meters!). Actually DX shooters should be more interested in this version, thought.</p>

<p>I have been wondering when people discover a "flaw" in this lens which would make it easier for me to obtain one sooner at a lower price. Now one has been found. Hopefully the 2k barrier will be breached soon (currently 2200€) - I think above that the price is just too high for a lens of this type.</p>

<p>The improved VR and higher contrast should make it interesting to DX users as well, though obviously the shorter reach can be considered a drawback (while it may be a benefit for some portrait applications if the FL reduction also takes place at 70mm).</p>