70-200 VR on film bodies

ike k

Hi all,

I have a 70-200 VR and been using it with my D300. I recently eager to get a film body again, and it's

either the F100 or F5. My question is since I know that this lens has vignetting issues with FX Dslr

(D3) so how does this apply to Film which an FX itself? thanks for any information!.

iKe

I can deal with vignetting, it's acually rather reminiscent of the way we see. But my 70-200mm AF-S VR is also soft in the corners, even at f8 or f11. Many others report similar behavior. I find this makes it very difficult to use for the kinds of "active" poses I use in much of my figure work, and I really miss my 80-200mm f2.8 2-ring.

I would go so far as to say that the 70-200mm f2.8 is really a DX lens that just happens to work, after a fashion, on full frame. Sort of the way you can mount a 12-24mm f4 DX on a full frame camera and shoot it from 17-24mm, but the corners are nothing to write home about.

It works well with film cameras. I used it on F100 and F8 with good results. If it vignettes -- didn't notice in my seetings -- just avoid the situation then. Camera settings are always compromises. Photography is a problem solving process.

Mary

Have had the lens almost since it was introduced. Used it on DX and film, mostly film these days. On either DX or film, wide open is not as good as if you close down one stop or two. Since recent comments I have paid special and still don't see the softness or flaws. And I'm the Leica snob:) Don't have digi FX body to try out. On film, the only lens beating it in nikon range range is the 180mm/2.8, wide open.

I think the 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR is ok on film. The vignetting is always there at f2.8 and the 24x36mm sensor format, but edge performance is not nearly as bad as it is on the D3. I compared the 70-200 VR against the 80-200mm/f2.8 AF-S on the F5 and reviewed the slides very carefully with a 10x loupe. I found them very equal.

When I first got my 70-200VR, I was still using an F5 actively. There is falloff as the others above mention, but I never found it to be a problem. Like many photographers, I often/usually add a bit of vignetting in PS anyway, to draw viewers' eyes into the image (as Ansel Adams once said, "no print is finished until the corners have been burned in" or very similar), so it doesn't bother me if there's some there to start with.