70-200 Problem

michael_bradtke

A good friend of mine that I work with occasionally has a 70-200 2.8

VR that he uses on his D100.

He ran into a problem with the lens the other day and I am wondering

if any of you fine folks have heard of or had a similar problem.

He was shooting with the lens and all of his shot are very over

exposed.When he asked me about it I thought that he might have

screwed up. Or maybe his D100 was having a problem. He emailed me a

couple of the images and I am not sure what is going on. I thought

originally that maybe the aperture was sticking but now I am not sure.

So if you would take a look and give me any ideas they would be

appreciated

Michael<div>00FreW-29181384.jpg.6147b71300e70a5924d63f7fa8047ffb.jpg</div>

Michael,

This image looks overexposed, similar to the images I got from a rented 70-200 vr that

had an aperture malfunction and wouldn't stop down.

With the G lenses it is harder to test for this on the lens itself, but he can mount it and use

the depth of field preview to see if it is sticking. Or shoot a series of frames with

progressive apertures (2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 etc) and see if the overexposure gets worse with each

shot.

John

If the camera is defective or, more likely, a user error with some wrong settings, e.g. exposure compensation at +2 stops, you should have that same problem with other lenses.

If the aperture diaphragm is stuck at/near wide open, you should see the same problem pressing the depth of field preview button. Moreover, if you shoot the same scene, the exposure should be correct at, for example, 1/500 sec f2.8 but wrong at 1/60 sec f8.

And the lens should have the same problem on other bodies.

It should be fairly straight forward to isolate the problem with the instant feedback of digital.

Thanks all

I am relaying information to him by email. There is a 250 mile gap between me and the camera.

I know the lens has shown this behavior on one other occasion on a different D100. At the time I wrote it off because the shot was of a black horse on a very light background.

I know that he has shot with a different lens on the camera and the exposures where just what he expected.

Thanks again.

Michael

Michael,

I have run into this problem on my 70-200 2.8 with D2x, D70, and D100. The lens needs to

be serviced, since it won't stop down, resulting in overexposed images. It may appear to work

at times, but it will need to be service do stop sticking. After my lens was serviced I've never

had this problem again.

I had the same problem with my 70-200mm VR. Took it to the repair shop, and the head tech simply manually opened and closed the iris by sliding the diaphragm lever quickly and repetitively. I have never had the problem again after this easy, 10 second fix.

Tell your friend to try doing this before he spends time and money by sending the lens in for repair.