70-200 mug review (tongue firmly in cheeck)

matthijs

<p>I'm wondering what type of filter to buy for this one. I know Braun sells several different models, but what about Makita? Anyone have any experience using both types?</p>

<p>I know G. Dan is not a big filter advocate, but I wonder if his opinion has been swayed by this particular model?</p>

<p>The problem with the push-pull mug is that you introduce all sorts of dust and environmental contaminants into the interior elements. While these probably won't affect the final quality of the beverage, you're going to have some cosmetic issues.<br>

On the plus side, once you get used to it, it beats a zoom ring for quick adjustments any day of the week. fine-tuning is a little difficult.<br>

<br />Also, I know the best advice on cleaning these things is normally, "as little as possible" in order to discourage excessive wear on the coatings and potential scratches of tough dust or grit, but I think that a less-is-more policy might not be the best idea for this particular mug, especially if it gets daily use, which I'm sure it will for most pros. In any case, I suspect we'll have the standard admonition to not put the cleaning solution directly on the mug....<br>

Also, I am a poor photographer on a budget. I understand that there are a number of "non-L" EF and EF-S mugs that give similar quality for 1/2-1/4 of the price. Can anyone send me a link to those?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The problem with the push-pull mug is that you introduce all sorts of dust and environmental contaminants into the interior elements.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's probably true. But perhaps they can design the push-pull mechanism such that you can carbonate your coffee, wine or whatever on the fly. Or, in reverse mode, use it as a small <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=liquidator">Liquidator</a>.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think that a less-is-more policy might not be the best idea for this particular mug, especially if it gets daily use, which I'm sure it will for most pros. In any case, I suspect we'll have the standard admonition to not put the cleaning <a href="http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Wdrp#" target="_blank">solution</a> directly on the mug....</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree. I also think it's reasonable that we ask Canon to start warning against washing (real) lenses in the dishwasher. I mean, who will tell the difference after a 600/4L of beer?</p>

<p>Totally want one of these, but all vendors selling them seem to be price gouging big time. Hopefully in a few months they'll be reasonable.<br>

It also seems (from browsing ebay) that there are black box 'fakes' out there that are crappier quality.</p>

<p>I would suggest that starting with a few, good prime mugs is clearly a better choice than this zoom version. Depth of foam is far easier to control, and I have always noticed a little fuzziness around the edges when using a zoom mug filled to its full aperture. It is hard to focus quickly when you want to get close to your desired subject (even with a well-engineered diaphragm), and there are clear issues that have been noticed with the mount. When used repeatedly, wide-angle subjects become distorted (the “inverse barrel” phenomenon), and one feels that the ground is much closer than it really is. The red-eye effect is difficult to eliminate with this thing. Moreover, the device, for some strange reason, always causes an unwanted switch of my Argus into P-mode. All in all, this is a useable product, but only in very low-light conditions.</p>