70-200 fl vs S

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by mark4583|1, Dec 4, 2020.

1. How does the 70-200 2.8 FL compare to the 70-200 2.8 S lens on the Z7? I have the 24-70 f4s not sure if it would be worth the upgrade to the 24-70 2.8S, I get some really good shots with the 70-200 FL, I dont see the S being that much better to warrant another $2500 on a lens.

2. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

First of all, I have neither one of those lenses, as I already have the first two versions of the 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR and the f4 AF-S VR, but the general consensus seems to be that while the 70-200mm/f2.8 E FL AF-S VR is excellent, the Z-mount version is even a bit better.

• Brad Hill: Natural Art Images: Voice: Brad Hill Blog "If you thought a 70-200mm lens couldn't be better than the F-mount 70-200mm f2.8E, well...you were wrong! The Z-mount 70-200mm f2.8S is better - in pretty much every meaningful way. But to be clear, the differences aren't huge..."
    • Ricci video review:

When Nikon announced the Z-mount 70-200mm/f2.8 S almost a year ago, it was $2600 and actually $200 cheaper than the initial price for the F-mount FL version: Nikon Announces 70-200mm/f2.8 E FL AF-S VR and 19mm/f4 PC-E Lenses

But the F-mount version has now gone through a few rounds of discounts and you can have it for $1900 now. I think it pays to wait. If you already have the FL one, just use it with the FTZ adapter for the time being. I may get a Z-mount version in another year, if I have a higher-end Z body by then.

robert_davies|2 and Mary Doo like this.
  3. I have the S version. Have not had the chance to take it out to shoot wildlife or moving objects. I agree with the review above, the improvement over the older version is likely to be negligible. I actually did not feel any improvement over the older version that I remembered.

4. Thom Hogan in his review ( Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 S Lens Review | Thom Hogan ) concluded "This is a tough call. The 70-200mm f/2.8E FL is an excellent lens, the best I've seen in that focal range from anyone until the 70-200mm f/2.8 S came along. But I'd say the two Nikkors are within a hairbreadth's distance of one another in terms of optical performance, and what I see in differences could very well just be sample variation." Read the review for more information.

5. I have the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL and am very happy with it. It is an excellent performer.

Erik-Christensen likes this.
  6. Reading Thom's quick review, it seems CA is markedly reduced in the S version.

And the corner res is better too, esp. at close range.

Although he does worry that his test lens may have been Cherry Picked .

I'm surprised the AF isn't quicker in native Z mount than via the FTZ, although the trend of more modern versions of AFS to play nicely with the FTZ has been noted before.