70-200 f/2.8 or 85mm?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by arthur_bunda|1, Mar 4, 2004.

1. which one is better to use?

2. Use for what?

3. Depends what you are doing of course but my personal preference is the EF 85mm f1.8 and EF 200mm f2.8 L, and you can get both for less than a 70-200 f2.8 L IS or about the same as the non-IS zoom. Good luck!

4. Both are good lenses, but I agree with BJ Porter...for what? Quality wise they are good, but they both have their advantages and disadvantages. If we don't know what you want to do, it is an impossible question to answer.

5. for portrait, fashion, weddings and nature.

6. Portraits and Fashion the 85 is better as it beats the pants of the 70-200 in a situation where you don't need a zoom, and 85 is a good focal length.

For weddings and nature the 70-200 is better as it gives you the zoom useful in weddings and the range useful for nature. If you suddenly need to be shooting at 200mm the 85 pretty much sucks. :)

So how about an 85 and a 70-200 f/4. Best of both worlds and less money.

7. I agree with Marcus but for nature or weddings you really need a wider aperture than f/4
    IMO. Shoot an animal (or a person :) at 200mm at f/4 and compare that with f/2.8.
    Isolation and background blur are key at these focal lengths. Never mind that for
    weddings the extra stop counts a lot for low light situations - or even with flash when
    you're trying to balance the foreground exposure with the background and want to keep
    as low ISOs as possible.

Bogdan

8. I think that if you intend to shoot weddings than a zoom is a must.

Happy shooting ,
    Yakim.