6x6 and 4.5x6 folder

<p>There are 6x6 and larger cameras that can have a mask installed to produce 6x4.5 images. Installing the mask may automatically adjust the camera to advance the film appropriately for smaller images. The problem one often runs into is that the mask originally shipped with the camera has been lost over the years and can't easily be replaced.</p>

<p>What I would like is a 6x6 format, which is advanced by viewing the numbers of the paper backing where I can see the 4.5x6 indicators when in 6x6 mode. Or, shot in 6x6 and automatic indexing in 4.5x6. Will the Isolette work? I don't want a 6x9 camera shot in 6x6 as they are too large.</p>

<p>My Isolette has 2 windows one for each format as the numbers on the backing paper are in different places. I don't think a 6x6 will do what you want. </p>

<p>I think some 6x9 camera might as some have 2 windows inline so can wind the numbers to the first window then wind on the same number to the second window.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My Voigtlander Bessa 466 can do both 6x6 and 6x4.5, but this model is very rare as less than 700 were produced. With age the internal mask for switching formats can get difficult to move. Unlike some of the other Bessas, it has a frame counter rather than "ye olde red window".<br>

If you pick up a cheap 6x6 folder with red window some experimentation might enable you to determine how far to wind to get the desired amount of overlap.</p>

<ol>

<li>The Welta Weltax is a high quality folder with a mask that reduces it from 6 x 6 to 6 x 4.5. They came with a wide range of shutters and lenses; I believe the best combination was a Tessar set in either a Compur Rapid or Synchro Compur. Somewhat heavy as I recall, but the one I owned made some very crisp pictures and was a pleasure to use. I've had a few pangs of sellers remorse since I sold it some years ago.</li>

</ol>

<p>I have two 120 rollfilm folders that I can use in 645 format :</p>

<p>1/ a "native 645 format" folder from Rodenstock called the "citonette" dating approx. 1932, with a 75mm/2.9 Trinar-Anastigmat lens and a Compur-Deckel shutter (1/250-1sec-B-T)</p>

<p>2/ a simpler Certix 6x9 folder that can accept a cache for 645 format (with a darker anastigmat lens and simpler shutter only 1/100-1/50-1/25-B-T). Indeed, the cache was lost but I built one with aluminium foil and black paper.</p>

<p>The common thing about both these cams is that in these old times the 120 rolls had markings for 6x9 and 6x6 format but not always for 645. But to get the correct film advance for this format, the back had two red windows, aligned with the 6x9 marks and you had to show the frame numbers alternatively in each of these windows, to transport the film each time by half of the 6x9 frame.</p>

<p>If you look for an old folder permitting 645 format, you should thus select them by the aligned "two red windows". There may be a slight difference of quality in favour of the "native" 645 cams, because the film is held flat by two rollers at that very distance, whereas with a 6x9 folder and cache, the film is held at much wider distance - so maybe not as flat...</p>

<p>Both the folders that I have are very "pocketable" and I enjoy them almost as well as my Minox 35 :-). But it is really a challenge to get crisp pictures with this type of gear (guess-meter for distances, wear adjustement in the unfolding mecanisms, etc...) thus you have to know and befriend them very well !</p>

<p>Give me some time to prepare and post some pictures...</p>

<p>Paul</p>

<p>Rob,</p>

<p>Hope the Welta is a good one, they usually are. Just for completeness or for anyone else looking for this sort of camera, the Ensign Autorange 220 also caters for both formats using a reversible film counter wheel (I've forgotten to change this once before and ended up taking 12 645's instead of 16 on a film!) Unlike many older folders, these have hinged metal plates that stay permanently in the camera so don't get lost, you just have to remember to match up the couter wheel to the mask setting when you load a film up.<br>

The 220 Autorange moves the whole front lens board back and forth, coupled with a rangefinder, to focus instead of just the front element and some were shipped with a fine Tessar lens, although mine only has the Ensar lens, it does a mighty fine job.<br>

The other thing to look into with any folder is making sure it is all light tight, the lens board comes out true to the film plane and that the shutter fires at least close to the markings. Most of these things are not too hard to resolve with a bit of patience though. Good luck.</p>

<p>Craig.</p>

<p>The Welta was a good choice.</p>

<p>If you're a tinkerer, you could use most any 6x6 as a 6x4.5 by making your own mask and learning which mark on the film to advance the film to. Should be able to get at least 14 or 15 frames.</p>

<p>Trouble with using a 6x9 like the Bessa with a mask is that it's a pretty big heavy camera for shooting 6x4.5, and you're using the center of the film where film flatness issues that exist with that format are at their worst. </p>

• 3 weeks later...