6x magnifying finder for F series cameras

duane_galensky

Typical equipment-nut behavior: go out and buy something first and then ask questions...

<p>

Anyhow, I've ordered a Nikon right angle viewing attachment for the upcoming Smokies wildflower trip. I'm sure it'll help some, but was also considering instead a 6x magnifying finder, which should offer greater viewing distance and a better view of what's in focus. However, such finders are several hundred dollars compared to the right angle finder, which was a little over a hundred. Plus, they only enable spot metering on the F4 (and while cheaper if I could find a used one for my F2, it offers no metering at all) while the attachment adds to the existing meter prism instead of replacing it.

<p>

Still, I'm wondering if I've made the right decision...does anyone with 6x finder experience have any advice on the matter? I'd be happy to report back on my satisfaction with the right angle finder if there's any interest.

<p>

BTW, a waist-level finder crossed my mind as well...thoughts on that appreciated also. I would imagine that the waist level has the typical pop-out magnifier that covers only the center of the frame, though, which would be a drawback for the way I make images (typically the point of interest is never in the center of the frame, plus no help in checking DOF in the corners)

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a little work with both the WLF and 6x, but not the right angle attachment, on an F3. Of course, the metering isn't affected by the finder on an F3. I found the 6x to be not much help because my glasses prevent me from seeing the whole frame. If you don't need glasses, it might work well. The WLF is as you describe with the pop-up magnifier for the middle of the frame. You can see much of the frame by moving your head, so you can see the edges -just not everything at once. Without the pop-up magnifier, the image is cannot be focused on if you look close - you need to get a couple feet away to see the image in focus. Unfortunately, it is so small by them that it isn't even very helpful for composition.

I'd stick with the standard finder. If you don't wear glasses, the 6x might be very good.