6D - Buy now or wait?

JamesFarabaugh

<p>I know that I will be buying a 6D sometime within the next 6 months. I know I want the 6D because of its superior low light capability. I love shooting nightscapes, night sky/meteor showers, night street/architecture, etc., and am routinely frustrated by the poor low light capability of my 60D. Today Amazon has the 6D with 24-105 f/4L IS lens for $2084 - down from the usual $2399 price ($2499 msrp). So while I wasn't planning on buying it yet - I have not saved up for it and would have to move some funds around (i.e. raid my savings) - I am afraid that if I pass on it now I might not see this price again in the next six months. Does anyone else have a gut feeling on the 6D pricing six-month forecast?</p>

<p>Buy it now and you don't have your money, but you do have your camera.</p>

<p>Buy it later, more money, but no camera until then.</p>

<p>How "instant gratification" are you personally?, is the question you have to answer.</p>

<p>I'm currently facing the same <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson%27s_choice">Hobson's Choice</a> on a new computer.... One that I probably don't really need, but one I really, really want.</p>

<p>My rule of thumb for all high-tech electronics is that unless you need it now, it usually pays to wait. About 6 months ago, a relative of mine bought a 6D for $1500 when some dealer broke up the kit and sold him the body only, and that is a really low price. Today, you can easily get it from B&H at $1499: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html</a></p>

<p>Another factor is that the yen is going further down now, to about 104 yen to the US dollar. The yen has depreciated quite a bit in the last 12, 13 months. If the trend continues, I expect some generous rebates from most Japanese cameras in 2014.</p>

<p>Another issue to keep in mind is that by the middle of 2014, the 6D will be two years ago. With the Photokina coming up in September, 2014, we'll be talking about the 6D being an "old" model and will soon be replaced.</p>

The only exception to Shun's comment I can recall was the 7D, which was available for about $200 less when I could

"afford it" versus when I originally considered buying it. Otherwise, the usual rule is if you are even considering

waiting...wait.

<p>Worst case is you wait, the 6D MkII comes out at $2000 and you want it. Then you have to wait again...or you buy the 6D now, then you wish you'd waited for the 6D MkII.</p>

<p>However, I suspect we won't be seeing a 6D MkII in 2014. The 7D came out in September of 2009 (that's over 4 years ago) and we still haven't seen a 7D MkII.</p>

<p>If you need it, buy it. If you don't need it, don't buy it!</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. JDM, I understand your point, but I also see a difference - it's not as simple as buy it now or buy it later. The motivation for waiting has more to do with trying to buy it at the bottom of a price dip to save as much as I can. </p>

<p>Jeff, I did not mean to imply that I would use the 24-105 for night photography. I envision that would be my everyday lens, and I would buy a wide angle 2.8 or faster for night photography.</p>

<p>Shun, you bring up some very good points I hadn't considered.</p>

<p>Bob, luckily I'm not the type to buy "the latest and greatest" just for the sake of keeping up with the latest and greatest. As for your last statement... if I lived by that rule I wouldn't own a camera at all! I don't "need" any DSLR because photography is just a hobby, not my livelihood. Now, do I "need" a FF camera in order to be successful in achieving my photographic goals? Yes. Meteors are very quick... with the 60D and a 2.8 lens it was not possible to capture them without unacceptable ISO noise, and all attempts at noise reduction just obliterated what faint meteor streaks there were. Same goes for milky way landscapes.</p>

<p>Jim, thanks for the advice! I hope to be so lucky.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> and am routinely frustrated by the poor low light capability of my 60D</p>

<p>it was not possible to capture them without unacceptable ISO noise</p>

<p>all attempts at noise reduction just obliterated what faint meteor streaks there were</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Humour me here, James: how are you converting and processing these files? And what kind of ISO are you talking about?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The motivation for waiting has more to do with trying to buy it at the bottom of a price dip to save as much as I can.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's sensible enough, but the only time in my personal history when the prices have dipped substantially are after the replacement model has already been announced (5D series history, at least, and then often not by much). Then you will have to make the choices Bob suggests about old and new models.</p>

<p>And even if you save money, you <em>still don't have the camera until you buy it</em>.</p>

<p>First of all, I am not all that good on speculating exchange rate fluctuations, or I would have gotten rich from that. However, you can find a 5-year chart between the Japanese yen and US$ here: <a href="http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=USDJPY%3DX+Interactive#symbol=;range=5y;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;">http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=USDJPY%3DX+Interactive#symbol=;range=5y;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;</a><br>

From the chart, you can see that the yen had gone way up against the US$ in 2009, 2010, and 2011. For that matter the yen also went way up against most western currencies. As a result, we saw multiple price hikes on cameras, which are mostly Japanese, in those three years.</p>

<p>The Canon 7D was introduced in September, 2009. Therefore, it should not be surprising at all that its price went up in the following 2 years.</p>

<p>However, the yen had peaked in January, 2012 and the exchange rate has reversed cource in a major way since 12, 13 months ago. So far we have not seen any major price reductions in camera equipment, but there have been rebates and some products are much cheaper now. The 6D going from $2000 to $1499 is a good example.</p>

<p>As far as Bob's point that Canon still hasn't introduced a 7D Mark II after 4+ years, we have already discussed that before. IMO both Canon and Nikon have given up on high-end APS-C bodies in the $1700, $1800 range. That price category now belongs to low-end full frame, such as the 6D @ $1499 now.</p>

<p>In September 2012, Canon and Nikon announced the $2000 6D and D600, respectively, within a few days. Nikon's D600 has had a lot of negative publicity due to dust/oil issues such that Nikon has already updated the D600 to the D610, which has mostly the same specs. IMO the low-end full frame DSLRs is the hot item that will get updated every 2 years or so. Those who are waiting for high-end APS-C updates (7D and Nikon D300/D300S) will be waiting and waiting forever. That is a separate topic that has already been debated.</p>

<p>Still disagree Shun! I'm 95% certain that we will see another "professional" APS-C DSLR and it will be the 7D MkII. While the 6D is a fine camera, it's very much stripped down in terms of AF system and overall speed. It's 100% fine, indeed it's great, as a studio camera and a general purpose camera, but it's not as technically capable as a 7D (or 7D MkII) when it comes to speed of operation and AF capability.</p>

<p>A 7D MkII and a 60D would appeal to quite different demographics, even if similarly priced.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>While the 6D is a fine camera, it's very much stripped down in terms of AF system and overall speed.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is exactly why I think updating the 6D should be a priority for Canon.</p>

<p>Way back in 2005 when I first saw the specifications for the 5D for the first time, I was a bit surprised that Canon used a stripped down AF system with only 1 cross-type AF point on a $3000 camera, but that was 2005, still early in the digital era.</p>

<p>It is much harder to believe that the 6D still uses that AF system today. Remember I played around with my relative's 6D a few months ago. I was also surprised to find only one memory card slot, etc. Meanwhile, the Nikon D600 has 39 AF points with 9 cross type, dual memory cards, etc. There are reasons besides exchange rate that a new 6D has lost 25% in value in a year (actually not even a year at the time my relative bought his). In fact, so does the Nikon D600 but for different reasons: mainly due to the negative publicity from the dust/oil issue. As a result, Nikon promptly replaced it with the D610 and restored the $2000 price point.</p>

<p>IMO it is very much in Canon's interest to add more features to a newer version (so that it is more competitive) and bring the price back up to, or at least closer to, $2000.</p>

<p>I think the 6D is deliberately differentiated from the 5D MkIII by the lower performance AF and the built in WiFi and GPS. It's very much aimed at a different market from the 5D MkIII and even the 7D. You can think of the 6D as a sort of "super Rebel", while the 7D is more of a "miniature 5D MkIII".</p>

<p>Jack up the 6D (MkII) price too much and you lose potential sales and put to many features on it and you might hurt 5D MkIII sales. It's a delicate balance.</p>

<p>If I were looking for another full frame body (to replace my venerable 5D original), I'd be far more attracted to a 6D at under $1500 then a 6D MkII at $2000. If fact I may wait until the 6D MkII comes so the 6D prices drop and I can get one for $1200...and if they start selling refurbs for under $1000, Canon will probably make a sale.</p>

<p>I think the 6D is deliberately differentiated from the 5D MkIII by the lower performance AF and the built in WiFi and GPS. It's very much aimed at a different market from the 5D MkIII and even the 7D. You can think of the 6D as a sort of "super Rebel", while the 7D is more of a "miniature 5D MkIII".</p>

<p>Jack up the 6D (MkII) price too much and you lose potential sales and put to many features on it and you might hurt 5D MkIII sales. It's a delicate balance.</p>

<p>If I were looking for another full frame body (to replace my venerable 5D original), I'd be far more attracted to a 6D at under $1500 then a 6D MkII at $2000. If fact I may wait until the 6D MkII comes so the 6D prices drop and I can get one for $1200...and if they start selling refurbs for under $1000, Canon will probably make a sale anyway.</p>

<p>You want it for reasons of materialism and consumerism. I guess you're in touch with your feminine side. Put your 60D on a solid tripod and shoot at 100iso and I'm quite sure it will perform as well as any DSLR. As for shooting sport under floodlights or handheld wedding portraits in a church interior then I suppose the best high ISO capability is desirable but then I always shoot flash in the latter situation. I really don't think you need the 6D.</p>

<p>Jim, no need to be insulting to the OP and all women.</p>

<p>You question his motive for buying, yet his listed needs would make the 6D far superior to his current body. Lot and lots of problems cannot be solved by shooting at ISO 100 on a tripod.</p>

<p>Despite it being a good camera for his needs, I stick with recommendation that he wait until he can easily afford it.</p>

<p>Though I have several 2.8 and even 1.4 lenses; with my 5d Mk III I can shoot an f/4 lens in low light all night long with the great ISO capabilities it provids. Unless you can afford a 1Dx, the 5d Mk III is THE best camera Canon currently makes. Pricey? Yes. But it will last you a very long time and provide you with amazing images and hours of enjoyment.</p>