65mm angulon F6.8

skinny_mcgee

You have to decide what price is reasonable for you but expect to pay in the range of 450

-700 for any of the nodern lens in the 65-90 range.

You should be able to pick up one of the slower ones at the lower end of the range e.g. f8

Super Angulon, f6.8 Grandagon, f8 Fuji SW.

you have to be careful, it's not that 65mm lenses won't cover 4x5, it's that particular lense that doesn't have the covering power...

I use a 90mm super angulon for alot of architectural work, but something in the 65-75mm range is really nice (and on my list to purchase). Just make sure it covers your film and gives you some room for movements.

As the others have said, the 65 mm Angulon won't cover 4x5. From your question, you seem to be looking for an inexpensive wide-angle lens for architecture photography with 4x5 film. The lowest priced wide-angles that will give you useful excess coverage so that you can use camera/lens movements (which you may have read about in books about architecture photography) are 90 mm lenses of more advanced design than the Angulon. These lenses include the Super-Angulons, Gradagons, Nikkor-SWs, Fuji-SWs, etc. Probably the most available lenses on the lower-priced end of the choices are older Super-Angulons. If you budget allows, there are other wide-coverage lenses of various focal lengths that will work well. If you browse the archives of this forum, you will find discussions of lenses and of architectural work.

I'm not sure there are any 65mm lenses that have huge image circles. The common 65s, such as the Nikon SW, the Super Angulon, and the Grandagon, all have only a 170mm image circle. The good news is that with lenses that wide a little movement goes a long ways. I use the 80mm Super Symmar XL and it's a great lens but expensive. It would be a major jump in cost from a 65mm Angulon to a SS XL.

One of the least expensive yet decent quality wideangle lenses to consider is the 90mm f6.8 Raptar (Wollensak). You don't get much movement but it gets you started for $100 to $150. A 90mm f8 Super Angulon will cost anywhere from $300 to $600+ depending upon the age.

The problem with any 4x5 lens is making sure that the shutter works well or at least well enough for you to work with. On older models they often stick at 1/2 and 1 second. If you use longer exposures you can use the bulb setting or if you use flash or higher speed film then you've got the rest of the speeds to choose from. So that may be a problem you can work around depending on your photography.

One more thing if you want a used lens with an excellent shutter you're better off spending the money up front. Having a shutter repaired at a later date will cost more than buying the good one to start with. Good luck!

I have the SA 65mm and was disgusted by the fact that you can't hardly rise it, and any substantial tilt or swing slams the back element into the ground glass.

However, I had a mathematically literate buddy do a few calculations, and it is the case that the SA 65mm with no movements will capture any subject that a 90mm can with full rise. Granted you will have to enlarge it more, but still an interesting factoid.

IMHO lenses shorter than 90mm are specialty items, and pretty useless with any subject more than a dozen yards distant -- everything disappears off into the distance, except huge football fieldsworth of boring foreground, usually the street. Maybe useful for interiors, but most of us amateur architecture shooters are shooting the outsides. I would recommend a 90mm or the 110.

all the best.