65 Years Ago - May 1950

<p>Again, thanks for sharing this info.</p>

<p>On the Amateur Report - I enjoyed reading about the Rube Golberg set up to photograph hummingbirds nest . If Fred had a Rollei instead of Speed Graphic, he would have been able to use a rubber bulb release.</p>

<p>Also, a Kodak Retina II was pricey in 1950. It was $197.00 USD, which included federal excise tax.</p>

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

<p>Sunday evening and I've finally got around to clicking the links...Great stuff, as usual <strong>Marc</strong>. The two things that strike me most from this 1950 edition is the total lack of Japanese items, and perhaps how our ideas of feminine beauty have altered in the 65 years past. Thanks for another interesting trip back.</p>

<p>Alex S. - Thanks.</p>

<p>Mike - I always find some interesting tidbits in the new products.</p>

<p>Julio - You are welcome. The May 1960 issue has a test of the Retina IIIc. I am just finishing up that post.</p>

<p>Rick - The Japanese items were few and far between. Some issues have several items and some have none. Even during the fifties the idea of feminine beauty changed quite a bit. I will have to make note of that when I am doing my scans.</p>

<p>Tony - I don't know if I have ever done a post without a Rollei ad. They sure dominate my attention.</p>

<p>Karim - I think surfing was mostly in Hawaii. There was some in Southern California but I don't recall it being that popular. I lived in Santa Barbara, CA during most of the fifties and I mostly remember paddle boards and inflatable items. I think surfing really gained popularity in the sixties. By then longer lenses were available at reasonable prices so you could photograph the action from the beach.</p>

<p> </p>