Midway through a roll of film I get an error message in the LCD

panel. This happens sporaticly and always at the worst time. The only

thing you can do is wind the film to the end and reload. Pentax said

to make sure the film cartridge is properly seated, big help! Is

there some trick to seating the cartridge? Would appreciate any help

on this. Thanks.

Jeff Enck

Hi Jeff ...

I must have shot over 200 rolls of film with never a single glitch. I'm not sure that there is any "trick" to seating the cartridge. Actually, it's kind of hard to get it wrong.

Could be something wrong with the cartridge ??? I'd suggest going to a camera store in your area that sell MF eqpt. These guys are usually quite knowledgeable.

Ray

When I had that problem it was the battery tray not seating properly. A simple adjustment at the warrantee repair shop and I haven't had that problem since. I use the rechargeable alkaline batteries and charge them often. The 645n seems to use up the batteries about twice as fast as the 645.

Gene

Hi Gene ...

Have you tried Lithium batteries in your 645N?

I never owned the first 645 so I can't compare. On my 645N, I have shot over 75 rolls of mostly 220 film on a single set of Lithium batteries over a period of one year with no sign of letting up. The only reason I changed them is that I was heading into my first real (pro) wedding and figured I should start off with a fresh set of batteries <;-))))).

I've read that rechargeable batteries are poor performers unless they are used consistently, i.e., you can't put them away for two weeks and figure that they are not losing power ... they are. It's simply a characteristic of rechargeable batteries.

Ray

Hi Ray,

I have not tried the lithium batteries. Are they AA's or some other size that requires a different holder? If they are AA's I wonder how they get them to put out 1.5 volts. I thought the chemical reaction in lithium batteries was naturally 3 volts. I use my 645n daily and probably shoot an average of two 220's per day. Leaving my body switched on over night is usually what runs my batteries down.

Gene

Hi Gene ...

I can't help out with the "chemical makeup" but the Lithium batteries that I use say 1.5 volts on them. They are the AA size and do not require a separate holder.

Page 9 of the user manual states that you can use alkaline or lithium batteries. The life of the lithiums is clearly way above the alkaline. Alkaline: 100 rolls of 220. Lithium: 320 rolls of 220. All at 68 degrees F. WAY below that when its colder as stated in the manual.

I am sure that a lot depends on the amount of autofocus used, the type of lens, etc ... As I mentioned in my previous post, I practiced a lot without film just to ge to know the camera and moving all the heavy glass on the AF 80-160mm, well, lots of load on the batteries. And so I changed the batteries after 75 or so rolls.

Although NOT mentioned in the user manual, the rep at the camera store where I purchase all my materials mentioned that I should NOT use rechargeable batteries. They just drain too quickly and might deliver insufficient/inconsistent voltages when they start to get somewhat drained. And for the amount of film you can shoot on normal alkalines or lithiums, why bother.

With the new Contax AF, one poster wrote that he shot 4 rolls of film and had to change batteries.

Try them out. I'm sure you love them!

Ray