600 v.Time-Zero

Have tried the SX-70 Blend in my SX-70 and was underwhelmed by the results. It seems that Time-Zero

had a different color quality to it that 600 film does not have. Can anyone go further into the differences

between these two films? Wondering specifically about the comparative chemistries.

What a shame that Polaroid dumped the format, when there are so many of us who would love to use it!

The Blend is so bloody expensive too. If I could get the richness of Time-Zero from Blend, I might not

mind paying $44 for 20 prints.

The Time-Zero film was a slower emulsion, 100ASA as opposed to 600. SX-70 Blend is 600 film with an ND filter over it so it expose properly in the SX-70 cameras. The primary difference was that Time-Zero films remain pliable long after exposed and processed. This allowed them to be manipulated by rubbing against the protective cover of the emulsion. This is called an "SX-70 Manipulation" and if you do a google image search you can see the results. It can turn the prints into van Gogh-like images.

While there are a variety of ways to use 600 film in an SX-70 (search the Polaroid group on Flickr for details), you won't be able to replicate the colors and other characteristics of Time Zero film. 600 is a different, sharper emulsion with more accurate color rendition...something many of us aren't looking for in our photos.

Your best bet is to either shoot digital or use 600 and work with Alien Skin's Exposure in Photoshop. That will allow you to apply a Time Zero filter to your photos. Not the same thing, I know. But it is as close as you will get.

Or, you can buy remaining packs of Time Zero on eBay. Now they are between $60-$80 per pack.