60 Years Ago - January 1954

<p>I have seen in several magazines a section where they go back in time to show what was happening at a certain time period long ago. I thought I would try the same thing with my Modern Photography magazine collection. I have chosen to do it in 60 years ago, 55 years ago, and 50 years ago posts each month. They would consist of an article or two, some equipment ads, and some camera store ads. This will give you an indication of what camera enthusiasts were reading in that time period.</p>

<p>Let's start with 60 years ago. These scans are from the January 1954 issue of Modern Photography. This is an article about George Eastman founder of Kodak.</p>

<p>Here is page 1.</p><div>00cLqT-545207584.thumb.jpg.ad2ae56c4887944ba19ff94e1f6bc832.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks, Marc!<br /> It brings back those memories, when I was a press photographer in 1953-54. ...and got married in December 1953. We just celebrated 60 years together! So, we, too are vintage sweethearts.<br /> I still have a Crown Graphic and Omega D2 enlarger, which get occasional use!<br /> Jack</p>

<p>I made my first prints with an Omega D2 in High School in 1971. My own first enlarger was a Federal 6X9 diffusion model with the so-so 3 inch f/6.3 Fedar Anastigmat. It must have been older then me and was not easy to use. The next year I got a Bogen 22A Special, which I still have. When you look at some of the prices of cameras like the Contax and the Rolleiflex and then consider what people earned in 1954, photography could be an expensive activity even then.</p>