60-member choir photo--What colours should they wear?

catchlight

I've been asked to photograph a 60-member mixed adult choir next week on risers

on an auditorium stage. I will light the group with four studio strobes.

They do not have uniforms, and I'm wondering if I should be suggesting that

they avoid any particular colours (white comes to mind). I'm also wondering if

it would make for a more pleasing shot if I were to suggest that they each

choose from a particular range of shades (say, blue/grey/black and maybe red,

rather than wear the whole gamut of colours.

Any suggestions based on experience will be appreciated.

Wow... you've already asked some good rhetorical questions. I think if it were me, since they won't be wearing uniforms, I would try to get at least a little consistency in terms of their dress. You might have one person show up in a Pepto-Bismal pink dress if you don't. I would think that relatively formal attire would make for a nicer shot. The guys in dark suits (avoiding "loud" ties) and the ladies in not-too-bright dresses - perhaps navy blue if possible. But to some extent you'll be at the mercy of what they happen to own, so just suggest they avoid anything too loud and turn out in their "Sunday Best". I also think it's wise to avoid white. Could be a tough gig - good luck!

The choir should wear what they wear for a concert. That is an established characteristic of their public persona, and there's nothing wrong with capturing that in a group portrait.

You need to be careful you are exposing for the faces. You can use a flash meter or grey card for the correct exposure. Walk the stage so you can measure the light distribution, and make the necessary corrections (preferably to the lighting).

Thanks for your thoughts, gentlemen.

I will contact the choirmaster to request that the women choose solid colours, and that the men wear dark trousers and a shirt that is somewhere in the blue spectrum.

I will be sure to take light readings off the faces, Edward, front row and top row.