I am a profesisonal photographer from Switzerland. I am

looking for a medium format camera. I love the 2:3 ratio and would

want to get a 6 x 9. Being busy with snaphot-type work, I am

interested in rangefinder / reflex cameras (no bellows, no rails,

etc).

To my knowledge there is the fujinon and the mamiya 67, which is a 6x7

however. It would be stupid to purchase a 6x7 knowing that I would

crop my images and loose image surface. The problem I have with the

Fujinon is the absence of lens interchangeability.

So my questions to the forum are (I do not want them to be sound

"product a vs product b", but do not know how to formulate them in

another way):

1. are there other 6x9 rangefinder cameras of this type available on

the market ? heard of the alpa and horseman but believe these are

bellow-type view cameras.

2. how do the optics of the mamiya and the fujinon rate, in your

experience ?

3. if you happen to know american photographers philip lorca dicorcia

and allan sekula, who work with medium format in 2:3 ratio, does

anyone have a clue as to which equipment they are using ?

Looking forward to your tips. Thanks a lot in advance.

Marco Poloni

Check the Horseman wide angle camera, can take 6x9 backs, other possibility is the new ALPA SWA, can take 6x9 backs too (but it is really expensive). The Horseman can use Rodenstock (sp?) lenses, the ALPA can take Rodenstock and Schneider (sp?) lenses for that format. With both cameras you need to guess the focus and use an external meter.

You can find info. here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

http://www.alpa.ch/alpa/alpa12.html

Jorge Saravia

Visit <a href="http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/index.html"> http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/index.html</a> and go from there to Danny Gonzalesez'(sp?) reviews. This will help you narrow your search.<p>

Also, on the MFD top level, if you scroll down, are categories including Linhof, Mamiya Press, etc. Although most of these are "bellows type" cameras (and you said you didn't want that), I suspect that only a "bellows type" camera is going to be light enough for you to carry around in order to get your "snapshot" type photos. I am currently using a graflex press camera and once I get the rangefinder adjusted I plan to use it for handheld photos. It's not fast or easy to use, but I've only had it less than two weeks - after I use it more I guess I'll get faster. At work I use a Fuji 680 III which has all the features you want -- SLR focus, interchangeable lenses, etc., but, despite the fact that it is only 6x8 (1 cm shy of your goal in the horizontal) it is so massive that I defy you to use it handheld like a Nikon for "snaps." You'd have to be Schwartzenegger to do that.<p>

In your place, I'd look at press cameras.

If you need interchangeable lenses the field cameras are your only choice. The Horseman is a wonderful camera, but a bit pricey. Have you considered buying a used camera. I bought a 2x3 Crown Graphic a few months ago for $200 US. Add some new lenses and one or two 6x9 backs and you have a complete system for less than the price of the Horseman VH body. If you want something newer the Horseman 6x9 cameras might be available if you look around.

If price is not a concern then go with the Horseman. It is fairly compact, and built very well. If you want to stick with rangefinders then the Fuji 6x9 seems the best bet, You could pick up two of them and at least have the choice of normal and wide lenses. Check the B&H link given earlier.

There was also an interchangeable lens Fuji 6x9 rangefinder, which was manufactured in the early seventies. You can check the link above for more information on it. I own one with the 100mm and 180mm lens. The lenses are very good, but single-coated (which I have found not to be a problem, as the lenses are simple classic designs with few air-glass interfaces). The body is serviceable, but requires big hands to operate readily. They can still be repaired in some respects, but parts are no longer available.

Marco, have you considered the need to crop a 6x7cm negative? I cannot assume how you intend to use the MF camera, and all the suggestions above are good ones, but many choose the 6x7cm format because there is very little cropping that needs to be done when the shot is properly framed to start with. 6x7cm fits 8x10 paper sizes etc. extremely well. 6x7cm is referred to as the "ideal format" for reasons of print accomodation, framing, perspectives for portraits etc. 6x9cm is also excellent, but many times you may find yourself cropping more of these to fit standard paper sizes. Just a thought.

I cannot compare the Fuji to the Mamiya, but I can compare it to Zeiss (Hassy), since I use a SW690 for a lot of my travel shots when I don't want the hassle (and risk) of carrying a load of Hassy gear. The 90mm lens is extremely sharp and contrasty. The camera is very plain and easy to use, except for the infamous B. Carrying one of each (90 and 65 versions) would not be as onerous as carrying a MF body, a couple of backs and several lenses.

WOW!!!!! I have two dogs. GUESS WHAT THEIR NAMES ARE!

JACK and CHASE..........I swear to dog!

I hope you like dogs, and if you do you'll love mine. I am new to photography, but I will get pictures of my canines online as soon as possible, as I feel the need to give Philip G. some good competition.

HEY! Here's an unrelated story...

Occasionally, I ad Manhattan to Chase's name when I call him. Years ago before I any credit, Chase Manhattan bank denied my credit applications several times. The idiots kept sending me "pre-approved" apps, anyway. Losers. One day I noticed the stupid, cute, little letters they stuffed in those mailers were signed by a president with a name very similar to mine. He had the same initials (mkb) and similar name (don't remember). I sent him a letter pointing out the similarities (including comparing his bank to A dog, not MY dog), and asking if maybe we could be buddies and he could send me that card I had been pre-approved for for so long, or at least explain the paradox of being simultaneously approved and denied. He never wrote back. Oh he wrote me several times after that, I just wouldn't call it writing BACK. Just the same letters I already had copies of, only now I send everyone back marked, "refused, return to sender."

Was that story really necessary? Rhetorical, don't answer that.

Anyway, I better say something about Jack's name. My wife named him after her father and our nephew. Chase got him name because he chases flashlight beams and bugs, etc. He likes to catch bumblebees in his mouth and spit them out dead. I love all creatures living, but it's interesting to see. Unless you're a bee :0)

Marco,

Take a very careful look at the Arca-Swiss F-metric 6x9 view camera. This camera is compact and light weight. You will have a large variety of outstanding Schneider-Kreutznach and Rodenstock lenses to choose from. The front and rear standards are suited for all kinds of jobs: architecture, landscape, portraits, studio (e.g., catalogue). It is a marvelous light weight camera. With a good spot meter (e.g., Pentax digital), you will have great images. Good searching.

Jim