5x7 and Epson 3200 Scanner

Greetings,

Does anyone here shoot with a 5x7 camera and scan the results on an Epson 3200/4990?

If so... what is your technique? I'm using Vuescan software.

Are you using a holder of some type or do you just lay the neg down on the glass and scan

away?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks Raphael... I'll just go ahead and give it a try... see what happens. :)

Mag,

Thanks... I'll check out the link and perhaps down the road give it a go.

I know they use to use wet mounting for drum scanning back a number of years ago. In

my university days, I use to work with a Hal 299.

:) Gads, that makes me feel old! :)

Cheers

Hi Bob,

LOL... For some unknown reason... I sure FEEL old! :)

The Hal 299 Drum Scanner was used way back in the mid-80's and took up a large room.

It had to be fully air conditioned and everytime I went in to use it... I had to put on a winter

jacket!

But, the results that it produced were pretty outstanding for the time period. Nowadays,

one of the high-end Imacons is capable of producing far better results at a fraction of the

price. The Hal 299 cost the newspaper a little over $1M when purchased new... and that's

in real US dollars (versus Canadian dollars!) :)

The memories... :)

Cheers

3200 light source is 4 1/8 X 10 1/4 approx, so wouldn't cover 5X7. Plenty for 4X5.

You may be happy scanning with the emulsion (rougher) side facing the glass, rather than the base (smoothest) side in order to avoid newton's rings.

The standard Epson carrier isn't bad, but this might be better (it is with 120):

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EXkB&tag=

4990 definitely will scan 5x7; the transparency adaptor covers at least 8x10 inches. It's a very interesting design -- there's a flourescent tube in the lid that's aligned to the scan head and travels "in sync" with the scan head. Two new Epson models have already been announced and will probably be available in April-May. They're the V700 and V750, some info is already on the Epson web site.

Be aware that the V700 and V750 are a dual-lens design. They will give a rated 6400 dpi across a limited portion of the scan bed, and 4800 dpi (rated) across the full width. If you work out the numbers, the higher-res value should apply to about 6 inches, so you may be in luck. But it will involve scanning one 5x7 sheet at a time, to keep the film within the "high-res" region of the scan bed.