5DmkII 580EXII curtain syncing

frank_gross

<p>on the original 5d there was a custom function to either sync the flash to the 1st or the 2nd shutter curtain so that any movement in ambient light (with slower shutter speed) would either precede or trail the frozen/flash image.<br>

on the 5DmkII i dont see that option - only a custom function for determining shutter speed -I checked the manual ?</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Why don't you set the 2nd curtain syn on the flash? It'll change it in the camera as well. Press the button that is 2nd to the right until you see the three arrows on the display. When you go through the camera menu, you're essentially doing the same thing. I find it much quicker to change the setting on the flash.</p>

<p>BTW, do you have the flash connected and on when going through the camera menu? If not, you will not be able to get to the flash options through the camera menu.</p>

<p>With the 2007 40D onwards, Canon organized all the flash functions on a flash menu. So 2nd curtain sync is no longer in the CF menu. Much more logical to have all flash functions in one place. If you diddle a certain one regularly, you can add it to your favs menu on the far right. The flash photography section in the manual is on pages 103-106. Younger folk grew up on the internet and haven't used books much. It's easier to look up individual topics in the "Index" (rear of book) rather than "Contents." </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter