5DMk2 vs 1DsMk3

james_glucksman1

I have been planning to replace my (stolen) 5D with the new 5DMk2, and will be attaching the battery grip to it, just like I did before. But

that got me wondering--with the battery attached, it's similar in size to the 1DsMk3, and since that latter is available NOW, whereas who

knows when the 5DMk2 will come out--whether I should consider the 1DsMk3 (geez, these model names are unwieldy!). Anyone have any

thoughts on the matter? I do not make my living from my camera, so the cost of the 1D... alone is enough to put me off, unless there is

some compelling reason to reconsider.

I have thought about the same issue as I finally make my real push into digital. Last time i looked to move was when the introduced the 5D as it offered some advantages over my EOS 1V film cameras. But I chose not to take the plunge as the 5D did not handle as well as my EOS1V and was inferior in several aspects (e.g. frame rate). I have pre-ordered a 5D Mark II but I do not have to take it so I will see how it compares to the 1D. If Canon made a D3 equivalent then I would buy that camera. I struggle with the 1D price (the 1V with the HS drive was only $1800 when it last sold) essentially it is physically a 1V with a sensor and display for which Canon extracts an extra $6000. I decided to go with the 5D as I am sure it will be obsolescent in about 5 years so the $ 5000 saving is useful. Most reviews seem to think that the 5D mark II has a better sensor than the 1D - especially at high ISOs. Since one of my goal with a digital camera is to get good results at over ISO 400 the 5D appears to be a better choice. I will wait until I test it myself.

Hi James....O.K. ..Amazon now has the Mk3 for $4,000 body only...and the 5DMk2 will sell for $ 2,700 body only

and will be available before the holidays. So, for thirteen hundred smackers can you wait a month? Do you need the

faster burst rate of the Mk3? Could you put that money towards a good lens? Do you need 21 mp vs the 10mp of the

Mk3. Ask yourself what features you need most where you " do not make my living from my camera " Is weight an

important factor? Do a little feature reasearch for both cameras.Go to a reputable retailer and hold the 1DsMk3 in

your hands. Bring a memory card and take a few photos with the camera and bring the card home..check it out. Do

you have photoshop? Plenty of sources to get opinions. There has been discussions about AI focus problems on the

Mk3. Also..conider another 5D if you havent had problems and got great photos with it.Wow..too much to think

about..eh?

Hi James....O.K. ..Amazon now has the Mk3 for $4,000 body only...and the 5DMk2 will sell for $ 2,700 body only

and will be available before the holidays. So, for thirteen hundred smackers can you wait a month? Do you need the

faster burst rate of the Mk3? Could you put that money towards a good lens? Do you need 21 mp vs the 10mp of the

Mk3. Ask yourself what features you need most where you " do not make my living from my camera " Is weight an

important factor? Do a little feature reasearch for both cameras. Go to a reputable retailer and hold the 1DsMk3 in

your hands. Bring a memory card and take a few photos with the camera and bring the card home..check it out. Do

you have photoshop? Plenty of sources to get opinions. There has been discussions about AI focus problems on the

Mk3. Also..consider another 5D if you havent had problems and got great photos with it. Remember..its the

photographer..then the camera that is most important. Wow..too much to think

about..eh?<div>00ROo9-85697584.jpg.cd8194d23ebf4a65a19903137022def1.jpg</div>

High ISO performance of the 5D Mk II is a win I think - and worth waiting for. The ability to shed the grip to get the camera

size and weight down when more casual seems a plus also. The continuous shoot rate is lower, but the question is do you

care.

<p>

The movie capture mode or whatever they call it is an interesting cherry on top of the 5D MkII...

<p>

This coming from the owner of a 1Ds Mk III. If I was sitting here now without either, I would buy the 5D MkII (waiting for it

to come out). Try a pre-order to reduce wait time?

James,

Kepp in mind that the 1Ds3 & 5D2 are - feature wise - still two very different cameras. The "right" choice is probably the one your needs best align with.

Some food for thought ...

[1Ds3 Pros]

(a) CF / SD cards fail more often than cameras. If you're shooting a "failure is not an option" type event then the dual media capability of the 1Ds3 virtually eliminates the chances of losing work due to card failure.

(b) The 1Ds3 has a VASTLY superior AF system to the 5D2 - it's so sophisticated that it's actually run by a seperate processor for maximum performance.

© The 1Ds3 has FULL weather sealing, whereas the 5D2's sealing is much improved, it's still not up to 1Ds3 standards.

(d) Higher durability shutter.

[5D2 Pros]

(a) Higher ISO Modes available - if you need them then it's a definate plus. Personally I'd prefer LOWER ISO modes to negate some of the filtration I need (and the associated vignetting that they introduce).

(b) Ability to shoot movies - no doubt a benefit to some, and absolutely no benefit what-so-ever to others.

© Technically a slightly better sensor, although I prefer to think of the sensor in both as being "more than adequate".

(d) Lower cost

As a "purist at heart", when the 5D2 was anounced I had to ask myself the question: "Should I offload my 1Ds3"? - but the more I thought about the specs in relation to what I shoot, I concluded that the 1Ds3 was still the far better option for me, although in my case the 5D2 would no doubt make an excellent backup camera.

The 1Ds mkIII is certainly a far more rugged beastie than the 5D mkI (not held a mkII yet) BUT for many (myself included) the weight and heft is a drawback rather than a plus. SO, I'd rather carry a lighter body with the same IQ than have a much more rugged body left at home on a shelf....

• 3 weeks later...
upgrading from a 400d, I was stuck between a 5dmkII and a 1d mkIII. In the UK, both cameras are priced the same , and I decided that for the same money, the 1dmkIII and it's pro -features was a no brainer. as for IQ, only a pixel peeper with nothing better to do would notice..