5Diii Thoughts

charles_mason

<p>So what I love is most of it. Image quality, HIGH HIGH ISO (easy two and maybe three stops over the 5Dii for sure!--12,800 is great!), speed, focus accuracy (blows 5Dii out of the water!), large LCD, HDR works amazingly well, and you get the three files for later play in Photomatix or Photoshop, most of it is incredible, and way worth the upgrade, though I was completely skeptical when first looking at the differences (they seemed so minor, but they aren't, especially the ISO boost)!<br>

BUT--Canon has their heads up someplace dark for changing to a totally Nikon rip-off of their image magnification. Canon had such a simple and elegant way to do this, one tough while in image view, and up down with the two buttons on top right. Every Canon since my 10D worked the same. Now you have to touch a button on the left, a magnifying glass, then spin the finger wheel to magnify. Just like Nikon, I think, and different than EVERY other Canon Digital SLR. So if you shoot this in companion with a 5Dii, or a 7D, then your two cameras work differently. I mean, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? WHO comes up with such a sudden and drastic change. So that one sucks!<br>

Second, what's with a whole button devoted to "Rate". Who rates photos from the LCD? I sure wouldn't. And this could have been devoted to the fabled Mirror Lock Up, or something useful.<br>

But my biggest beef, I think, is the reputed 14 RAW buffer is a myth. I get 6 or 7 RAW + Jpegs off till it STOPS. Then, and this is unlike my 5Dii, I have to wait for it to write to preview and look at the images. I don't have my 5Dii at hand, but I don't ever remember waiting for it. I'm using a fast card, but maybe this is the issue, I need an even faster one? Any suggestions on that one would be appreciated.<br>

I still love it, but those flaws are fairly irritating.<br>

I'll add on a couple jpegs, including an indoor shot with my 300 f/4 and handheld indoors at ISO 12,800. These are jpegs from RAW files converted in CS5 no sharpening or other processing.<br>

PS--does anyone know, or have you figured out, how to switch cards you are viewing when in camera. I have it set to roll from CF to SD, but when it moves to the SD, those are the only files I can access. Thanks.</p>

<p>> <em>But my biggest beef, I think, is the reputed 14 RAW buffer is a myth. I get 6 or 7 RAW + Jpegs off till it STOPS</em><br>

7 RAW + JPEG (page 375 of the manual)<br>

<em>> Rate button</em><br>

I'm surprised that it has made it to the 5D3 because it was a requested feature for 1D/1Ds/1Dx series. Reason? In a high-speed shooting environment, when runners yank out the memory card from yoru camera to take it to the editing van for immediate publishing, it is a good way to rate a great, or just interesting, frame for the editor to use w/o digging through hundreds/thousands of frames one produces very quickly when shooting at 8-10 fps.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>PS--does anyone know, or have you figured out, how to switch cards you are viewing when in camera. I have it set to roll from CF to SD, but when it moves to the SD, those are the only files I can access. Thanks.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /><br>

If it's like the auto-switch in the 1D cameras, then you have to manually switch when in playback mode. Auto-switch is a record capability.</p>